Wix China black ADBV

Well it finally happened. Been ordering Wix 51040 and 51036 for many moons and always USA made.

Received my order from Amazon and noticed the 51040 was wrapped in cellophane, never seen that before, took a closer look and sure enough Made In China. It also has a black ADBV, oh well at least the 51036 is USA with orange ADBV.

Date codes
51040 090221
51036 120921

Well it finally happened. Been ordering Wix 51040 and 51036 for many moons and always USA made.

Received my order from Amazon and noticed the 51040 was wrapped in cellophane, never seen that before, took a closer look and sure enough Made In China. It also has a black ADBV, oh well at least the 51036 is USA with orange ADBV.

Date codes
51040 090221
51036 120921
Even the Napa Golds we use at work are silicone ADBV

The cellophane makes me wonder if Wix made it at all...
I figured it was on the slow boat from China and they didn't want it to rust but that's just a guess.
Even the Napa Golds we use at work are silicone ADBV
My Napa never has the deals I see posted here, I get these from Amazon for a little over $6 vs the $11.99 at Napa.

My camera isn't the best but here are a couple pics. The louvers are all open and look good. I know you guys can tell by the end cap. I have no issues running this for a year/3k miles.

IMG_20220422_080308014.jpg
IMG_20220422_080351718.jpg

Last edited:
Does the box say imported by Wix USA and made in China? Sure looks like a Wix product, but is it possible it was for the Far East market? I guess it does say Gastonia NC right on the filter, but usually boxes say imported into the USA.

Seems M&H made the call to off shore the 51040 application. I was curious what vehicles application for, fwiw, seems majority older GM vehicles. Also a good number of OPE applications. Wix has been known to use nitrile adbv on the latter. But, it would be a change on topic filter.

'Looks' authentic to my eye with the outer ring on baseplate.

As an aside, recently watched a yt video of a German Hengst made in China spin on filter dissection. Construction looked good.

Does the box say imported by Wix USA and made in China? Sure looks like a Wix product, but is it possible it was for the Far East market? I guess it does say Gastonia NC right on the filter, but usually boxes say imported into the USA.
No sir it just says Contents Made in China on the box.

After putting on my reading glasses I see some of the louvers are not as open as others, wish I had a better camera, to late to send back, oh well.

After putting on my reading glasses I see some of the louvers are not as open as others, wish I had a better camera, to late to send back, oh well.

I see you got it from Amazon. Consider contacting their customer service. They usually make an exception to the return policy if you ask and have a good reason.

I'm sure you can color Silicone any color you like. Do we know that the black is NOT silicone? Ed
Let's put it this way, there has NEVER been a black adbv proven to be silicone on this subforum. Otoh, recently there have now been at two black adbv anecdotes here, claiming silicone via reps, now proven to be nitrile. Two different manufactures, Fram and Denso. I'm confident topic application is nitrile now too.
The Chinese made Wix are rebranded. Not even close to US made Wix.
Well, as Mann& Hummel owner of Wix is a global company (including China), I suppose they are entitled to label it a Wix. The Wix jobber tier filters have been made in China for some time now.

Since the OP now seems very wary of using topic filter, I'd like to see a c&p of said filter. Included, like to see pics of centertube with media removed and bright light applied at outlet opening. Only way I know to completely eliminate subjectively of louver opening condition.

Not sure if this is correct, but authorized USA products would have imported by Mann Hummel or Wix I think on the box. If just says made in China, doesn’t seem right. It looks too good to be a fake, but it could be a Wix product made for sale in China? I guess they used to call this grey market. But then again it’s just a guess.

The label on the filter says Made in China ... just like the box, so I'd say it was made in China. And is was sold in the USA if it was bought off Amazon by someone who lives in the USA.

Since the OP now seems very wary of using topic filter, I'd like to see a c&p of said filter. Included, like to see pics of centertube with media removed and bright light applied at outlet opening. Only way I know to completely eliminate subjectively of louver opening condition.
Along with an ADBV burn test ... nitrile is my bet.

Back