Does WIX still have silicone ADBV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently sent the following inquiry to WIX:

I've been a long-time fan of WIX oil filters ... when Dana, parent company of Wix filters, announced on 8 July 2004 that the buyout firm Cypress had agreed to purchase the aftermarket parts portions of Dana, I was concerned that the quality of WIX filters might suffer. Today, for the first time, I inspected a new WIX filter … the new filter without the Dana logo and with black paint vice white. After careful inspection the quality and construction appear to be the same as before the buyout, with one notable exception ... the anti-drainback valve is a noticeably different tint of orange; much darker. Which finally leads to my question, do WIX filters still have a silicone ADBV

I do realize that the ADBV is still orange, just want to make sure. WIX website still advertises a silicone ADBV ... of course the illustrated filter is also still white.

Yes and no. It varies by filter. You'll have to physically inspect the one you need to be sure, unless someone on the site knows 1st hand about the filter you are interested in.

I recently bought a couple of Napa Gold 1215 filters for our 05 Mazda3. These filters come in a black painted can with a black ADBV. The black ones MAY be silicone, but I can't tell for sure.
dunno.gif

WIX provided a quick reply to my inquiry:

quote:

All our premium WIX filters that require an anti-drain back valve utilize silicone as their construction material. Color variations can happen from the chemical compounding process in the original manufacturing of the material itself. The use of black paint was not the result of the sale of our company. That decision had been made long before the sale was made. Our new owners were, and are, very impressed with our quality and reputation in the marketplace. Nothing has happened to change anything regarding how we go to market or the quality of our product.

Thank you for your inquiry and your continued interest in WIX filtration products.

Chris Greeson
Senior Technical Service Manager

Well I guess that clears that up, though I will go back with TomH's observations and see what WIX has to say. FWIW I've always been impressed with WIX, from quality products to quick and accurate customer service ... the reply from WIX sounds somewhat like a marketing/PR pitch, and it comes across somewhat terse (to me at least); but a reply within 12 hours is definitely impressive.

[ March 25, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: guile ]

NOTHING has changed with the sale of us (and the rest of the After Market/Under Hood Group) to Cypress. We've always enjoyed operating pretty free from corporate intervention and continue to do so. All of our filters that have had silicone ADBV's continue to have them.

Herfnerd,

Let me start by saying that I have the highest opinion of WIX filters, IMHO they offer the best combination of quality and value on the market today ... that's why I use them. My post was not intended to malign WIX; I just want to ensure quality remains unchanged through the turmoil of corporate restructuring.

In regards to your post:
quote:

All of our filters that have had silicone ADBV's continue to have them.

how do you explain the black ADBVs on some Napa Gold filters?

TomH,

Here's the reply WIX sent me about the filter in question:

quote:

Our 1215 NAPA Gold oil filter for this Mazda application does not have an anti-drain back valve in it. It is not required for this application. If your friend has some 1215's with anti-drain back valves, that is a manufacturing error and they should not be used.

Chris Greeson

quote:

Originally posted by guile:
TomH,

Here's the reply WIX sent me about the filter in question:

quote:

Our 1215 NAPA Gold oil filter for this Mazda application does not have an anti-drain back valve in it. It is not required for this application. If your friend has some 1215's with anti-drain back valves, that is a manufacturing error and they should not be used.

Chris Greeson

Thanks Guile. The 1215 might not have an ADBV, but the black ring that I see through the holes sure looks like one. Checking the Wix website, they show that the 51348 (Napa 1348) is the same filter with an ADBV. If I experience any start-up noise I guess I'll try that one.

I have had issues with many full flow filters over the years. I am now buying WIX filters for everthing including my John Deere lawn mower. I now have 4 vehicles of mine, plus 2 for my daughter and 3 mowers between us that use WIX filters. Never a problem or start up noise.
offtopic.gif

Now if I could only get my daughter to order me one of those cool yellow flaming NASCAR hats with WIX on it for my birthday. But her complaint is that she would have to get her husband one also. Hey I tired.

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by guile:
Herfnerd,

Let me start by saying that I have the highest opinion of WIX filters, IMHO they offer the best combination of quality and value on the market today ... that's why I use them. My post was not intended to malign WIX; I just want to ensure quality remains unchanged through the turmoil of corporate restructuring.

In regards to your post:
quote:

All of our filters that have had silicone ADBV's continue to have them.

how do you explain the black ADBVs on some Napa Gold filters?

My bad - my intent was not to make you think that I felt you had maligned Wix. Just wanted to let you know that although our parent has change, nothing else has - we are still the same as we were a year ago......

Originally posted by Herfnerd:
quote:

My bad - my intent was not to make you think that I felt you had maligned Wix. Just wanted to let you know that although our parent has change, nothing else has - we are still the same as we were a year ago......

Good to hear ... that quality is still intact. I've become a big fan of WIX oil filters and wouldn't want anything to change. Was a little disappointed in a NAPA Gold/WIX cabin filter (for Odyssey) that I bought recently ... was labeled "made in China". Appeared to be a decent quality filter, but definitely not up to the same standards as your oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back