WIX Bypass setting lower than the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that WIX bypass setting are in the 8-11psi range for the filters I use (toyota and mazda applications). This is lower than other manufacturers which advertise anywhere from 11 up to 16 psi.

Is this any concern? I prefer WIX filters and have been using them for years. I like the fact that there bypass valve is on the thread side of the filter.

WIX and NAPA Gold are great filters, IMO, and I've studied a lot of filters.
A lower bypass setting is, if anything, a good thing.
If the filter is made for your car, then the bypass reflects the media flow design for the range of oil flow expected, and will vary with filter makers because of different medias used.
Nothing to worry about.

That's Wix's generic setting ..it probably conforms to most OEM's. Puro's generic setting is somewhat higher ..upward about 4-5 clicks.

Where there is a specific need that would alter that ability to apply a standard bypass valve spring ...they do.

If you cross reference different filters across all filter companies (that you have access to the data) you'll find that they all do this ......more or less. For example while Wix may have a 16psi bypass valve for a specific application ..Donaldson's x'ref'd filter may be 19.

On the lower end there appears to be a few Honda/Acura apps that require a simple "8" with no variance. There you'll typically see ALL filter man's have "8" as their spec.

Yep. Purolator uses a different media than Wix, for one example, so I think that's why their standard bypass setting is higher.
But as long as the size, sq in of media is in line with what is intended for your engine, that's OK to vary brand to brand.

I see that for German cars that use thicker oil and longer drain intervals, the filter bypasses tend to run higher.
Mahle OC47 is 16 psi, and the OES VW Mann for the New Beetles is 30 psi, IIRC. It says right on it that it is a 30,000 km, 2 year filter, too. I suppose they don't want the bypass opening too often with cold, higher viscosity oil when the filter is getting loaded up for a couple years.

I was always curious on what the rationale was behind the higher Euro-typical bypass setting. We have (some) engines with the same volume potential ..etc..etc. Not many ..but some.

Doug Hillary finally (after years of back burner pondering) straightened me out on it.

I'll try to say this in as compact a manner as possible.

Heavy oil due to requirements at full potential operating temp
Oil pump volume requirements at operational limits
Higher pressure limits on oil pumps with aforementioned requirements
Current limitations on lubricant VI
Typical time vehicle is operated with all other capabilities being accounted for if and when full warm up occurs and engine is operated at performance limits.

Your car's life will mostly reside in a 20 minute window of sustained operation. For many Euro's that means that they'll be in pump relief for a good bit of it due to the volume/visc/temp triangle. Pump relief events produce elevated PSID. If you want your engine to see filtered oil ..or more of it, you reinforce your media with mesh and up the bypass level.

Interesting.
It also seems that many German filters' medias are sieves, relative to N. American ones - with the exception of the German built Mann.

...The Mahle OC47 I sometimes use is a tennis racket compared to a Purolator/WIX/Champion/Fram class filter.

The WIX Teutonic offerings appear to be courser than their standard offering.

Part Number: 51355
UPC Number: 765809513556
Principal Application: Audi, VW (00-06)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.475
Outer Diameter Top: 3.745
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 33
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=24/51 (51 is above the visible threshold, I believe)
Burst Pressure-PSI: 390
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.775 2.450 0.185

Part Number: 51393
UPC Number: 765809513938
Principal Application: Audi (71-06), Volkswagen (96-09), Lotus (71-74)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.820
Outer Diameter Top: 3.020
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 33
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 410
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.800 2.450 0.230

If that's the OEM spec ..I'd imagine so
21.gif

For all we know they don't even make it ..but rebadge a Euro fitler.

..but (checked) seeing as they're $8.70 and $6.99 LIST ..it's unlikely.

Still could be rebadged, methinks.
If I stay out of the dealerships, the Euro made Manns and Mahles are in $5-$7 range.

Surprisingly cheap considering the Austrian Mahle 0C47 includes extra--and rather elaborate--valving. Both an ADBV and and anti-siphon(?) valve in one unit. No oil can enter or leave the Mahle from inlets or outlet when the engine is shut off.

The relief valve is on the dome end and is a more conventional design.

There was a Oz outfit (at one time)that had inlet and outlet valves on all their filters. I'm pretty sure they got gobbled up by a bigger outfit. That might actually keep an oil filter full. Not allowing them to drain forward ..or maintaining some static oil column above the filter.

I think so. Depending on filter orientation, this could get oil out a little faster on start-up.

(However, on my VW van with the threaded end up, and the main horizontal oil gallery just above the filter--I can't see any difference in time for the oil light to go out.)

It's a pain if you prefill the filters like I do though. No easy way to get oil into the outlet tapping. Oh well. It's clever design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back