Wired network vs wifi network

Wired sounds like something you would like the idea of/enjoy so I guess I would go for it. Certainly nothing wrong with it, most likely something I would not mind myself.
I dont see the need in a 2400 sq ft house and wonder as another posted if it will be a thing of the past. Heck, I would need a special adapter for my 2 Macs in order to plug an Ethernet cable into.

You do not say what kind of speed you are thinking but would imagine wifi will keep up with the technology especially a home.
(I'm no expert just know how happy I am with the wifi set up in my home)
We have 18 wireless devices always showing on the router GUI and another 10 that are powered down, 28 in all, includes 6 Roku players it could be 5 but think my wife corrected me to 6. Throw in 4 security cameras and 1 DB cam, range never an issue, keeping in mind the router is central main floor closet.

Todays speed test, done in a 3000 sq ft home in 2nd floor home office Mac mini, Motorola 2600 Router central on first floor. I pay Spectrum for 100/10 or 12 service and get typically 117/12 (too long a story)
But after a recent service visit for some strange reason a few days later I went up double the download speed for no reason. I suspect it wont last and will be back to 117 which is all we need and all we are willing to pay for.

Go figure ... good luck with your home, we kind of but not quite have the itch to move to northern gulf coast of Florida. 15 years ago we came to SC from NY, for warmer weather, now that is feeling too cold in the winters here. Summers are actually hotter here but we love it. Darn homes have gone up so much in FL.

Todays speed test over our 5ghz Wifi Signal level is around -57db where this computer is.
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.01.17 AM.png

Last edited:
Wired sounds like something you would like the idea of/enjoy so I guess I would go for it. Certainly nothing wrong with it, most likely something I would not mind myself.
I dont see the need in a 2400 sq ft house and wonder as another posted if it will be a thing of the past. Heck, I would need a special adapter for my 2 Macs in order to plug an Ethernet cable into.

You do not say what kind of speed you are thinking but would imagine wifi will keep up with the technology especially a home.
(I'm no expert just know how happy I am with the wifi set up in my home)
We have 18 wireless devices always showing on the router GUI and another 10 that are powered down, 28 in all, includes 6 Roku players it could be 5 but think my wife corrected me to 6. Throw in 4 security cameras and 1 DB cam, range never an issue, keeping in mind the router is central main floor closet.

Todays speed test, done in a 3000 sq ft home in 2nd floor home office Mac mini, Motorola 2600 Router central on first floor. I pay Spectrum for 100/10 or 12 service and get typically 117/12 (too long a story)
But after a recent service visit for some strange reason a few days later I went up double the download speed for no reason. I suspect it wont last and will be back to 117 which is all we need and all we are willing to pay for.

Go figure ... good luck with your home, we kind of but not quite have the itch to move to northern gulf coast of Florida. 15 years ago we came to SC from NY, for warmer weather, now that is feeling too cold in the winters here. Summers are actually hotter here but we love it. Darn homes have gone up so much in FL.

Todays speed test over our 5ghz Wifi Signal level is around -57db where this computer is.
View attachment 47720
I'd just quietly thank Spectrum to myself and hope it stays.

Last edited:
Since I've been WFH, I ran an ethernet cable to the room where I work just for the stability. My kids are full time school from home, so they are both on Zoom all day. MY wife works from home 2 days/week, and I'm on Webex all day, and stream the radio on my phone. They are all on wifi, I'm wired. Works well. Took me 5 minutes to run the cable under the floor. Also, if the radio in the router dies (it happens) my work won't be interrupted while I get a new router.

I'd run the line to the areas where the stationary devices are located. When we went to a full time worker at home, I did a "temporary" fix and ran one of those powerline adapters to the downstairs office. It works so well, I haven't returned to run cat6 line to it. I'd prefer the work and tv connections to be wired.

If you’re doing sensitive work on on your network (personal financial information, work product that would be of interest to others, etc.), a wired connection offers one less opportunity for intrusion.

I realize wireless security has come a long way, but there always seem to be modem software/hardware upgrades: even if they offer near-perfect security how good are most users at applying patches or updating hardware? If you live in the middle of nowhere this may not matter but for other situations at least one wired connection makes sense to me.

If you’re doing sensitive work on on your network (personal financial information, work product that would be of interest to others, etc.), a wired connection offers one less opportunity for intrusion.

I realize wireless security has come a long way, but there always seem to be modem software/hardware upgrades: even if they offer near-perfect security how good are most users at applying patches or updating hardware? If you live in the middle of nowhere this may not matter but for other situations at least one wired connection makes sense to me.

Words of Wisdom

I run wired LAN to two computers. From there either one of the computers can act as a wireless hotspot from the LAN system when needed. Such as when people visit or I want to use my phone on wifi.

IMO, this is the best of both worlds. Super easy to create a Windows 10 batch file that starts the wifi network every time it is turned on. Just about any computer able to run Windows 10 or Mac OS have the ability to host a wifi network.

What is meant by wired backhaul?
Going from your cable/DSL/etc modem to your router is "wired" or I guess you could call it a "wired backhaul" too. When people set up WiFi repeaters or access points, many times they depend on a good wireless signal to reach the access point from the main wireless router. If it's not too strong, the signal it repeats can't be that good. Does this make sense ?

So then a "wired backhaul" would mean running Ethernet from your main wireless router to the repeater/access point for a reliable, stronger signal to repeat.

In creating a wired backhaul where three mesh routers will be used, is it customary to daisy chain the wired connections among the three or should the connections to the satellites be home run to the mesh router closest to the modem?

Finished is not clear... house or network?

None the less, I would (and have) run point to point for fixed or obvious locations.
(Slightly long cable, owner crimped connector at each end.)
Don't waste money on extra jacks, etc. - just extra failure points.

I have 1 or 2 at popular locations and spare length (1/2 room reach or so) pulled up in attic.
When I change (new printer, other toy) , I can add a small hub to any room for change.
They come out of simple flat covers at the bottom - $.39 and look fine.

The 10 or so cables also come out from a 3 gang flat cover and feed to my switch and router on shallow shelves in an interior short 'door' hall (house center) - useless for anything else.

(I often worked on a uncle/aunt's house that had a $15K 'structured wiring' system with FO and such - only the centralized location had any value. Oh, and different guys (and color codes) did the panel and the wall jacks!)

My wife has been WFH for a year and her VPN works way better on a wired connection.

Run the wire.

My smart TV runs on wire as well, leaves the wifi spectrum (if not all the bandwidth) free for the phones and stuff.

In creating a wired backhaul where three mesh routers will be used, is it customary to daisy chain the wired connections among the three or should the connections to the satellites be home run to the mesh router closest to the modem?
Performance wise, it doesn't matter. If you have to daisy chain, the data will still switch through at full speed.

But when wiring a house it is always home run to a central point with a switch there.

Performance wise, it doesn't matter. If you have to daisy chain, the data will still switch through at full speed.

But when wiring a house it is always home run to a central point with a switch there.

Not sure how that will be distributed when there's bottleneck. I've done it myself, but haven't really tested the throughput. I know that the latency is generally imperceptible.

I would prefer hard wired... wireless has definitely come a long way and is proven to be very reliable and fast.. I have both wired and wireless and never miss a beat either way... sometimes there's no noticeable difference.

Phone jacks, landlines.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Then I remembered what seems to be the typical age of most members here.

Yes, old enough and experienced enough to understand what works best. "New" and "improved" are not always the same thing. I use my wired network and land line every day and they are rock solid.

Yes, old enough and experienced enough to understand what works best. "New" and "improved" are not always the same thing. I use my wired network and land line every day and they are rock solid.
Impressed that you use these new-fangled things called "computers" too ! :rolleyes:

The Google mesh routers that I own each have only two ports. To do home runs, more ports will be needed on one. Will the use of an ethernet hub affect performance?

Back