Wiper blade clunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Impala with new Rain-X Weatherbeater wiper blades. I notice a substantial clunk when the wipers reverse direction. I don't notice any play anywhere in the wipers or arm assembly.

It might be from the rubber flipping during reversal (I need to take a closer look when I get a chance).
Anyone have a similar issue?

when I put new 'invisible glass' wipers on my mazda, I also got a clunk; the 2 wipers were actually hitting each other. I had to razor blade off the edge of one of them. no problems since.

Ever since I had my windshield replaced by safelite, every set of wipers that I put on my saturn chatters. Its very annoying. I'm starting to think that one of the arms isn't putting enough tension on the glass or something like that.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Ever since I had my windshield replaced by safelite, every set of wipers that I put on my saturn chatters. Its very annoying. I'm starting to think that one of the arms isn't putting enough tension on the glass or something like that.

If its new glass, its pretty clean and can be sticky to the wipers reversing direction. I use the rain-ex washer fluid, blades slide nice.

Ive gotten chatter and funny behavior due to rain-x. It may be related to the wipers.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive gotten chatter and funny behavior due to rain-x. It may be related to the wipers.

Same here. It also seems to dissolve windshield wiper rubber over long periods.

I watched the blades while driving today. There are 2 possibilities:

1. The rubber is sort of sticking to the windshield and loudly flipping over when reversing direction, or

2. The wiper blade frame is striking an odd "shroud" which is part of the wiper arm. This shroud interfaces with the stock beam-style blades.
This just might be the problem. If so, I may be stuck with using stock blades unless there are aftermarket blades which neatly interface with the shroud.

I'll try to get a better look today. I may try stuffing some rubber between the shroud and wiper frame...

Bob

Last edited:
Here's another thing I do people wont like. I put tire shine on the rubber with a rag. Keeps the blades from wearing out, no more sticking. Means you have to clean your windshield a few times initially, then occasionally. I hate the noise so much Id rather clean the windshield.

I have Rain-X Latitudes on my Safari and they clunk as well when the wipe direction changes. I've always thought it was noise made when the blade flips over when it changes direction.

I've also noticed that the washer nozzles don't cover the windshield like they used to with "conventional" style blades.

Update:

I shimmed the wiper blades with rubber, and the noise didn't change much. Then, I tried Rain-X wiper fluid (now I remember why I generally dislike Rain-X: the 1/4 second of haze after each wipe which is bothersome at night), no change.

On a whim I bought two new, "old reliable" Anco 31's. Dead quiet.

Well...The Rain-X Weatherbeaters are going back. I guess $5 wiper blades are good enough!

Last edited:
There is an easy fix for this..
Put a piece of tape on the flat part wiper arm near the end, use and small adjustable wrench to ever so slightly twist (not bend) the arm one way or the other and see if it stops, if not go the other way. Remove the tape, its only to protect the finish.

I did this for the guy that owns a local parts store that was going mental with chattering wipers, he was amazed, they were quiet as a church mouse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back