wiped cam lobe on briggs and stratton engine

So what causes this to happen after about 600 hours? Maybe the last 25 hours it wouldn't want to restart when hot. You guys told me that was excessive valve lash and I believe it now. The valve lash was about 4 times larger than what it should have been. Will that cause a camshaft to fail? I'm just assuming it's one cam lobe wiped out because the exhaust valve still opens and closes normally. I'm not sure if they use plastic gears and lobes or not like on the old flathead briggs. This is a newer ohv briggs. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I'm guessing one probably broke off.

Lots of dirt for me. I need to check my Honda gx390. One tappet had a weird pattern worn into it. Need to check it now that it has some hours on it.

I have seen several cam lobe failures that looked to me as if the heat treatment was off.

Lack of oil lubrication, overheating the engine, & the list goes on. 600 hours out of a residential B&S engine isn't too bad?

What do you mean dirt?
I got an early 2000s gx390 for $50 that burned oil. The last guy that had it attempted to change the air filter. When he changed the filter I'm guessing the o-ring stuck the the old air filter and got thrown out with the filter. So the engine was just breathing dirt for who knows how many years. I changed the oil 3x before it wasn't jet black after a minute of running. Then last year I rebuilt that engine to use as a pressure washer, but the cam might be toast. I needed to get my pressure washer going so I didn't replace the cam.

Back