Winter Witches Brew ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last winter I used M1 0w30 with a Fl820s filter in a 99 E-150 van with a 5.4 engine, 250,000 on the clock. Very nice combo, 98% quiet start-up noise. This summer I decided to try to improve on the start-up noise so I decided to use M1 HM 5w30 with a Fl820s racing filter. Really nice combo, 99.8% quiet start-up noise. So for this winter I was thinking about using half M1 0w30 and the other M1 HM 5w30. What do you guys think? Best of both worlds or snake oil?
My engine is specked for 5w30 on the oil filler cap as well as the owners manual.

The improved start-up noise on start-up is never improved with a heavier oil; a different oil chemistry that coincides with an oil being heavier perhaps, but never the oil just being heavier.

Stick with the M1 0W-30 for the up coming Illinois winter.

My expierence in my 99 has been quite good with m1 0-40 from hot to extremely cold weather ( -15 ) the engine has remained silent. I have also heard many other having very good results with the 0-40 in their 2V modular engines. At this time I have no plans to ever change from 0-40 in my 99, their was even a significant audable difference between the Red Line i had used

I was an amsoil fan boy for years til the rotella t-1 and t-6 came out. The t-1 is a 0w-40 which is perfect for winter and the t-6 is a 5w-40 which has got summer pretty much wrapped up. It's cheaper than mobil or amsoil and it's rotella. I will never go back to the boutique oils. If they can keep my cat zoomboom protected I got no problem putting it in my 4.6 2v. And a can of moly of course. Mileage is up on every vehicle I own using moly.

Wow im so sorry i mentioned my expierence with my 2V modular engine and 0-40. Im sure in your 3000 posts on this forum even an oil stud like yourself have read many of the same expierences. Some uninformed people seem to think it doesn't get cold in northern AZ where. Winter temps see -15 degrees and under and I spend many weekends in these temps.

Milage wise do you really think the difference between 30 and 40 weight oil would hurt the milage in a V8....really dude think about. My [censored] has been in the seat of that truck since 1999 and nearly 160k miles. I think I know what my average milage is loaded, unloaded, a/c on or off or with a load behind it.

Im sorry but people like you sure make forums suck, but they all have the know it alls that know very little.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Wow im so sorry i mentioned my expierence with my 2V modular engine and 0-40. Im sure in your 3000 posts on this forum even an oil stud like yourself have read many of the same expierences. Some uninformed people seem to think it doesn't get cold in northern AZ where. Winter temps see -15 degrees and under and I spend many weekends in these temps.

Milage wise do you really think the difference between 30 and 40 weight oil would hurt the milage in a V8....really dude think about. My [censored] has been in the seat of that truck since 1999 and nearly 160k miles. I think I know what my average milage is loaded, unloaded, a/c on or off or with a load behind it.

Im sorry but people like you sure make forums suck, but they all have the know it alls that know very little.

+1

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977

Milage wise do you really think the difference between 30 and 40 weight oil would hurt the milage in a V8..

Yes I do.
You're talking about the difference between a HTHSV 3.0cP oil and a 3.8cP oil which is a lot and fuel economy largely correlates to HTHSV. So if you think you're seeing a fuel economy gain, one thing you can count on is that it's not due to the motor oil.

How much "up" did the mileage go? We've addressed this multiple times here already. Most of us don't have the facilities, much less the ability to eliminate every other variable and determine how much a different oil viscosity changes fuel economy. It might be noticeable in a brand new Focus if one goes from 5w-20 to 20w-50, but switching from a 5w-30 to a 0w-40 in an F-150? It's going to be hard to separate the data from the noise.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I was an amsoil fan boy for years til the rotella t-1 and t-6 came out. The t-1 is a 0w-40 which is perfect for winter and the t-6 is a 5w-40 which has got summer pretty much wrapped up.

The problem is that the T1 is NOT available south of your border.
frown.gif

Now if he were willing to spend the time and coin to go on a northern raid and score a couple of cases, that's a whole 'nother story.
wink.gif

Cry me a river dude. Do you always whine this much?

3.8 is actually still considered 30wt oil just so we are on the same page. 3.2-3.8 maybe a heavy 30wt but dude it a 30wt oil.

Red Line 5-30 is also 3.8 fancy that.

Since API SN specifies that the minimum HTHS for a 40-weight is 3.5cP, RL 5w30 will provide an effect on fuel economy similar to a 40-weight. HTHS for 30-weights goes down to 2.9.

Originally Posted By: turf1
Last winter I used M1 0w30 with a Fl820s filter in a 99 E-150 van with a 5.4 engine, 250,000 on the clock. Very nice combo, 98% quiet start-up noise. This summer I decided to try to improve on the start-up noise so I decided to use M1 HM 5w30 with a Fl820s racing filter. Really nice combo, 99.8% quiet start-up noise. So for this winter I was thinking about using half M1 0w30 and the other M1 HM 5w30. What do you guys think? Best of both worlds or snake oil?
My engine is specked for 5w30 on the oil filler cap as well as the owners manual.

I don't think you need to mix the two. M1 0w30 and 5w30 HM are both excellent oils. I ran 5w30 HM in my Camaro last winter, and it did OK. But if you want the best lubrication on cold-starts, go with the 0w30.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I don't think you need to mix the two. M1 0w30 and 5w30 HM are both excellent oils. I ran 5w30 HM in my Camaro last winter, and it did OK. But if you want the best lubrication on cold-starts, go with the 0w30.

EXACTLY !!

AZfiredude---IMO the CAT has most likely FORGOTTEN more than you'll ever know about motor oils and related applications---listen and learn.............

It may have been the filter that made the change in start up noise more so than the oil. I am a fan of the 0W oils but it looks like the M1 HM 5W30 is doing the trick for you. What ever you are doing you are doing it right 250K on you P/U is outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back