Winter wheels and tires

Most blunders happen with 4x4/AWD, especially if they are Subaru or JEEP.

I feel more confident in my rear-wheel drive BMW with snow tires than I did in my Cherokee XJ with all-terrain tires and 4x4. Especially in situations where there isn't lots of deep snow where ground clearance is an advantage (a foot+ of snow). The 50/50 weight distribution of the car along with good traction control really helps. A lot of trucks and SUVs are just garbage in the snow because they are too light in the back. My friend's Silverado won't go anywhere in the snow unless it's in 4x4. Sometimes it even looses traction in the rain.

I won't be driving my Wrangler in the snow, but I can imagine it would be slightly worse than the XJ with similar weight distribution but a shorter wheel base.

And... they advocate for snow chains also, on top the mandated winter tires, as conditions require. Maybe they know something about snow chains that North Americans don't.

Ie.... If you have a good set of winter tires, you don't need snow chains.

I disagree. I've explained multiple times why 4WD vehicles stop better than 2WD in poor traction (assuming same tires). The same applies to steering, but to a lesser extent. I have explained the physics multiple times here, no one has contradicted me, and yet the myth continues to be repeated.

Yes, it is easy for a novice driver to overdrive a 4WD vehicle with A/S tires. But that does not change the laws of physics.

I'd like to see your explanation why you feel 4WD stops better in snow/ice.

I've seen a lot of videos from professional studies of winter tires vs all season and 2wd vs AWD. All of them show the same thing. The only thing that improves stopping power is better traction , that is tires or chains. AWD does nothing for reducing stopping distance. I haven't seen anything that compares 2WD vs 4WD in winter conditions.

I'd like to see your explanation why you feel 4WD stops better in snow/ice.

I've seen a lot of videos from professional studies of winter tires vs all season and 2wd vs AWD. All of them show the same thing. The only thing that improves stopping power is better traction , that is tires or chains. AWD does nothing for reducing stopping distance. I haven't seen anything that compares 2WD vs 4WD in winter conditions.
Technically correct. About the only advantage of AWD vs regular is that those cars weight more. More weight, better traction on the same footprint. Although more weight usually translates to longer stopping distances. But if traction isn't optimal, it's possible to get better traction and shorter stopping distances. Would have to run some tests to see if that plays out as expected.

I remember reading in the mid 80s, I think it was, Audi that stating in the deep snow cars stopped better with ABS off. Built a wedge of snow under the tires. I believe in a lot of conditions ABS means longer braking distances, but allows straight line braking and the ability to turn and maintain control.

I remember reading in the mid 80s, I think it was, Audi that stating in the deep snow cars stopped better with ABS off. Built a wedge of snow under the tires. I believe in a lot of conditions ABS means longer braking distances, but allows straight line braking and the ability to turn and maintain control.
I think you have it the other way around. In most conditions, ABS leads to shorter stopping distances as it's the coefficient of static friction vs kinetic friction. Static friction leads to shorter stopping distances. The snow plow effect on a locked wheel is one of the rare instances where you get shorter stopping distances.

You both are right ;-)
If one stops on surface that moves (snow, sand) blocked wheels may create rut and dig in helping with braking distance.
But not steering ;-)

Krzyś

5.5 months of winter tires here 49801, this will the 4th season on the Falken A/T 3W WildPeaks, 15k on tires 8/32" left. Ride is soft (P rated duty), traction good.

And... they advocate for snow chains also, on top the mandated winter tires, as conditions require. Maybe they know something about snow chains that North Americans don't.

Ie.... If you have a good set of winter tires, you don't need snow chains.
Their advice was not to exceed 50 km/ hr when using chains. That’s 30 mph. Not for me, thanks.

Back