Winter vs summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Egypt where temps in summer 20c at night and up to 45-50c in the morning and in Winter its down to 8-10c up to 3
20-30c maximum, i use 20w50 100% mineral oil in summer and tempted to use a lower viscosity at winter like 5w30 or 5w40 i drive 1997 Mitsubishi lancer

I have attached a print from the owner manual

Screenshot_2019-08-20-08-39-44-036_com.google.android.apps.docs.png

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Why change? According to the OM, 20W50 covers every possible scenario where you live. Plus, with 22 years of use under your car's belt, it's not going to hurt it.

+1..I have nothing to add besides saying, "I have nothing to add"...‚

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Why change? According to the OM, 20W50 covers every possible scenario where you live. Plus, with 22 years of use under your car's belt, it's not going to hurt it.

Correct m if i am wrong but the end of the arrow reaching 30c recommeding 10w30 that will operate best in that temp while end of the arrow reaching 50c requires 20w50 which would be heavy in 30c temp max or would be good all year round ?

I'll be tempted to use synthetic specially in the summer if the engine agrees with it being a 97!
I think x30 or 40 for winter would be fine.

According to the chart from the owner's manual, 15w40 works all the way up 50C and beyond.
So if the OP is looking to make a change, there are a lot of good 15w40 conventionals to try.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by Espada
Should I use API SJ or SL ?
Can you even find such oils? It's all SM, SN, or SN+ these days.

In Egypt we have alot of cars with more than 20 years under its belt so we have SG and SJ and SL, change interval for SG and SJ is 3000km but we change it at 2500km and for SL 5000km but we change it at 3500 to 4000km

From the info you gave I would say look for SL rated oils in 10w40
15w40
20w50

Given the cars age and climate I'd use a 15w40 Diesel oil year round.

20w50 is fine as well if you have better options in that grade.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by Espada
Should I use API SJ or SL ?
Can you even find such oils? It's all SM, SN, or SN+ these days.

Maybe in the US, but not the rest of the world.
Here in Spain SL oils are still widely available, i can even find some SJ still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back