Winter tires 2020 for pass cars what to pick

I have Cooper WeatherMasters for my 2010 Malibu - but they're discontinued. They'll be replaced by Cooper Evolutions.

Use the Evolution Winter with studs for both cars . Deep siping to base of tire like the Altimax Arctic were . Should of let them be :( . Both at reasonable price and more savings with the seasonal rebate .

I have a few problems with Nokian.

First, personal, they stopped selling summer tires in the USA and I had two sets of Zlines.
I had a set of Nokian summer tires and it was enough for me to swear off summer tires entirely. For a summer tire they had no wet traction. And I was sweating bullets going into fall as I knew I wanted them off before first snow--around here, it can have a few snows long before any real accumulation, but that will happen in say October, then one is running winter tires until well into April (and sometimes later). I was driving over 30k per year, no small amount of time to have to live with winter tires, just so that I could have the "good" summer tires for summer.

I forget what they were were, something with an "I" the name. Awful tire. Entyres were vastly, vastly better.

There was i3 Nokian, if memory serves me well.

Krzyś
That's it, I must have blocked the memory. Awful tire! I'm surprised that I tried entyres afterwards, I must have been on a kick at the time.

Altimax Arctics do very well in snow and slush and have a decent price point and are easy to find. In fact since our sonata rarely gets outside of Lincoln Ne city limits and we only put on maybe 3-4 k miles per year on it, I run em year round. Out does AWD vehicles that have only all seasons in winter. View attachment 33014 Stepson lives in Fargo ND and has used Altimax in the past as well and ND has about as tough of winters as you can find in the lower 48. When they wore out he went with Vredstein which work well in ND winters also.

+1

I have the Altimax Arctic 12's on my rear-wheel drive BMW. It's a tank in the snow. Drove through a blizzard in upper state NY without issue. I've pushed snow with the front bumper.

My favorite was the Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT. It felt a lot more compliant on dry/wet surfaces like an all season but handled snow drifts and deep snow/ice through a back road in high desert Utah confidently enough.

That's it, I must have blocked the memory. Awful tire! I'm surprised that I tried entyres afterwards, I must have been on a kick at the time.
Experience I had with Nokian's put them in my vocabulary in third rate group. They excel in one or two disciplines, but abysmal in everything else.

We got original Altimax Arctic on wife's Forte and they performed just great, running them one more season before replacing them, Tires saw every winter since new in 2014 being on the car 6 months a year.
Just ordered Altimax Arctic 12 for daughter's Acura and expect nothing but good about them as well.

I’ve decided to re use my Continental Winter Contact Si. They are just too good and too much tread (almost new) to let sit
They are 17s and were on my accord sport for a few thousand miles. I bought appropriately sized hub rings and some PCD (wobble) bolts for the 114.3 vs 112 pattern but the bolt/nut holes were far too small to use those
So dismounted the tires today and ordered some new wheels/rims specific to the GLI

next year our odyssey will need new winters and will likely go with the Viking contact 7 unless there is an amazing price on something else in the big 3 (x ice, blizzak or continental)

+1

I have the Altimax Arctic 12's on my rear-wheel drive BMW. It's a tank in the snow. Drove through a blizzard in upper state NY without issue. I've pushed snow with the front bumper.
Altimax are a fine winter tire, that's for sure. Growing up in Fargo almost everyone uses dedicated winter tires . I reccomended them to my long time neighbor who had always just ran all season tires every winter and he often found his vehicle struggling on snow and ice. Now he raves about how well his 2014 Camry handles the snow and ice now with winter tires. A side benefit is that it saves wear and tear and mileage on both sets of tires when they are switched out. The all seasons are fine most of the time but there is usually a few big snow storms here where the all seasons simply do not cut it and are not safe. I look at winter tires as a cheap and wise insurance as they have a huge advantage over all seasons during winter.

I’ve decided to re use my Continental Winter Contact Si. They are just too good and too much tread (almost new) to let sit
They are 17s and were on my accord sport for a few thousand miles. I bought appropriately sized hub rings and some PCD (wobble) bolts for the 114.3 vs 112 pattern but the bolt/nut holes were far too small to use those
So dismounted the tires today and ordered some new wheels/rims specific to the GLI

next year our odyssey will need new winters and will likely go with the Viking contact 7 unless there is an amazing price on something else in the big 3 (x ice, blizzak or continental)
I am the same. 2 of my cars have the Winter Contact Si, 2 have the Viking Contact 7. I wanted to try the Michelin X-ice Snow but the sale prices and Continental rebates made them too hard to pass up. Based on all the links to tests here at BITOG you really can't go wrong with either of your choices. The VC7 and X-ice snow would probably be best for the longer dry drives over the Blizzak. X-ice snow also still carry's the 40k treadwear warranty.

If anyone wants to try the suggestion of CrossClimate2 - Tire rack has it listed "Or get a $120* Visa® Reward Card¹ with the purchase of 4 new MICHELIN® CrossClimate®2 tires."

My son in his FWD Forte on VC7 picked up his friends that were stuck in school parking lot. They had a Subaru Forester on worn all seasons and a Wrangler on good Mud Terrains. They had to wait until the lot got salted/sanded before they could get their cars.

Blizzaks for me were too spongy handling on the sets I used for most of my drives. Good in snow at all depths and ice, a little more pricey, HUGE performance decline right at the 6/32" when multicell wore out.

I just sold the Altimax Arctic 12's on rims from the older CRV locally, only 3 years old with less than 4K on them. They were great. I had the regular Altimax Arctic for many years prior also great tires and wore for a long time. My old Nokians (multiple Hakkapeliita versions) were awesome, some day maybe I'll try the R3 or whatever replaces that. I haven't done anything with Goodyear, Firestone, Vredestien, Hankook.

Altimax are a fine winter tire, that's for sure. Growing up in Fargo almost everyone uses dedicated winter tires . I reccomended them to my long time neighbor who had always just ran all season tires every winter and he often found his vehicle struggling on snow and ice. Now he raves about how well his 2014 Camry handles the snow and ice now with winter tires. A side benefit is that it saves wear and tear and mileage on both sets of tires when they are switched out. The all seasons are fine most of the time but there is usually a few big snow storms here where the all seasons simply do not cut it and are not safe. I look at winter tires as a cheap and wise insurance as they have a huge advantage over all seasons during winter.
Yeah I love mine. Previously I've owned mostly Jeep vehicles with just 4x4 and all-terrain tires, but with the car I run dedicated summer performance and winter sets of tires/wheels. I've found the performance of all-seasons to be poor in pretty much most conditions. The All-terrains on the Jeeps were adequate in snow, but 4x4 was definitely required for slippery surfaces, and I wouldn't say the handling in bad weather was confident like it is with the snows.

Here’s a quick pick of the Continental WinterContact Si installed on Motegi MR140 wheels on our 2019 GLI
FB5589A9-BF58-4AEB-A88A-CE711241BD7B.jpeg

SI was replaced by Viking Contact 7.
It is global tire (vs North America only) and very good one.

Krzyś

Conti WinterContact SI Plus is a 'new' tire in Canada, may not be available in USA thou, sorry I didn't realize it at once. This 'Plus' tire is supposed to be much longer lasting than Viking while better on ice and comparable in snow, slush, dry and wet.

Conti WinterContact SI Plus is a 'new' tire in Canada, may not be available in USA thou, sorry I didn't realize it at once. This 'Plus' tire is supposed to be much longer lasting than Viking while better on ice and comparable in snow, slush, dry and wet.
Looks to be Canadian Tire stores only for that “plus” tire

"This 'Plus' tire is supposed to be much longer lasting than Viking while better on ice and comparable in snow, slush, dry and wet."
If Continental had such tire in the store they would have called it Viking Contact 8 and not sell it in Canada only, IMHO.

Krzyś

Back