Winter Tire Question to Nokian or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends how much distance the tires need to cover.
I wish my winter tires lost ice/snow traction because of aging and not because they hit snow wear bars.

And ADAC test is about "Winterreifen" which, with my very limited German, means "winter tires" - not allseason.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Originally Posted By: Ken2
Keep in mind that everything is a compromise. The best snow traction comes with squirmy tread and fast dry-road wear. The best handling and best dry-road wear comes with compromised snow traction.

Not necessarily. In this german test for allseason tyres Michelin Alpin A4 has best wear resistance and it still has good grip on ice and snow.

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/rei...rcePageId=31821

Usually winter tires lose their ice/snow grip by compound aging in 3-6 years, not with wear.

Many tires available to the European market are not available in the US market. Nonetheless, The Michelin Alpin A4 is not available in 225/60r17.

I wish my winter tires lose their ice/snow grip by compound againg. I wear my tires out because I do a lot of driving.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Many tires available to the European market are not available in the US market. Nonetheless, The Michelin Alpin A4 is not available in 225/60r17.

True, but Alpin A4 was just an example. What I'm saying is you dont need to fear that these nordic winter tyres(R2, WS70, XI3...) would wear fast on dry road due good snow/ice properties. Truth can be opposite.

Some locals are even using them in summer time against manufacturer's recommendations and claim that they don't wear too much (of course you should not do that, they aren't designed for summer temps and will perform badly).

Last edited:

True, but Alpin A4 was just an example. What I'm saying is you dont need to fear that these nordic winter tyres(R2, WS70, XI3...) would wear fast on dry road due good snow/ice properties. Truth can be opposite.

Some locals are even using them in summer time against manufacturer's recommendations and claim that they don't wear too much (of course you should not do that, they aren't designed for summer temps and will perform badly).

H and V speed rated tires can be used year-round (I'm using my V-rated winter tire this summer, just to finish wearing it out, as after 2 winter seasons, it's worn past its winter capabilities), as the tread compound is designed to withstand the heat generated by traveling at the limit for its respective speed rating.

However though, the lower-speed rated tires, usually with the more hardcore snow/ice unstudded tires, its tread compound is too flexible in the summer months so that you have a lot of tread squirm which leads to improper wear and handling characteristics.

Winter degradation of the tire is true though, as in the winter, the UV radiation levels are actually higher, so the tire compound additives have to fight more UV radiation to prevent the degradation of the (polymer) rubber compound.

with the Nokian WR "G3".... Nokian took the WR A3 and D3 and changed its compound to suit the North American market, to make it into an all-season tire.

Last edited:

Yes in Finland.
In the US using true winter tire in Summer is not really smart.
Last winter I worn out 1/2 of tread on Bridgestone LM-60 after 10,000 miles. Yes, you can drive them in summer, but next winter they will be horrible.
Then Finland summer temps are very mild, compare to US or souther Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back