Winter Storage Battery Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have been storing "summertime only" cars over the winter for 30+ years now. Generally I have had pretty good battery life results, the only exception being the reproduction tar top R59 batteries in my muscle cars, but those are typically of poor quality for some reason unknown to me. My methodology is simply I put my charger on the lowest setting (2A) and do a ~2 hour charge per month. With the exception of the reproduction tar tops I am getting 7-9 years from my batteries and I am fine with that.

I want to get a little more scientific in my battery care. I put my Shelby away (which just means I parked it) on October 27th. I have been watching the voltage of the system throughout the summer, just gathering data and it would appear that the terminal voltage after resting at 70F is exactly 12.65v. Fair enough, seems reasonable and I have seen that number plenty, I think the data is good on that.

So now November 17th, ambient in my garage today is exactly 30F, the terminal voltage is 12.17v. My questions are:

1) What is the state of charge of the battery? In other words... do I need to charge today?
2) What is the 100% SoC voltage of that battery at 30F? In other words I want to know how long to run my charger for to get close to this number.

Combing the internet, this was the best article:

www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/BatteryChargeEstimates.pdf

Using their calculations I get 49.6% SoC (12.17+.06 (temp comp) = 12.23 take the delta of 12.65 and 12.23 and use their voltage vs % calculation [1.2% per .01v drop]) ... can this be right? Seems low? I know the car is fine, if I went to start it it would start.

My charger is automatic so the battery won't cook... ~2 hours per month has worked 30 years for me... I suspect the sun will rise tomorrow so really all is well but I do wonder what the right numbers are... what should my voltage read after charging at 30F for 100% SoC... and at what voltage reading should I get the charger out, today it is 12.17v... is that about right?

Incidentally, my charging voltage right now on the 2A setting is 13.15v

If you can direct me to the definitive reading on this that would be great too
wink.gif

Thanks.

I like the way you think BUT charging the battery is going to warm it up and you will prematurely think you have 100% charge "at 32'F" even if the battery is up to 40 or 50 degrees due to its internal resistance. So to do this scientifically you'd want to come back the next day to see its voltage.

Off the cuff, I'd try charging at 2 amps for 12 hours every month. As you say, the charger shuts off.

What you are doing is obviously working. But if you want to go it a notch up get a BatteryMinder 2012 as it has high and low temp compensation as well as desuphation.

If you pull the batteries it can maintain 6 flooded cell batteries at once as long as they are all charged to start with. Its also pretty weatherproof. They have another one that is more of a power cube.

IMHO the BatteryMinder is a little better than a BatteryTender.

The BatteryMinder 2012 also can remote (by a few feet) temp sense the battery itself.

Last edited:
I've often heard that several batteries in parallel increase the odds of a bad one dragging down the bunch.

You guys are getting too technical. When I lived up in Western NY and I would store a vehicle in an unheated area, I would just connect a half amp or one amp trickle charger, plugged into a timer for one hour a day. (The same kind of timer that people use to switch home lights on/off in their homes). Worked great.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've often heard that several batteries in parallel increase the odds of a bad one dragging down the bunch.

That may be true in actual usage, but assuming you connect up several charged and in good shape batteries to a float charger that can handle many, I would assume none would go bad in 6 months given being float charged is the optimum storage of a battery. Its not going to sulphate.

I wouldn't parallel them temporarily to charge. Paralleling should ideally be done only with identical batteries and they should be paralleled from new and replaced in sets.

+1
Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
You guys are getting too technical. When I lived up in Western NY and I would store a vehicle in an unheated area, I would just connect a half amp or one amp trickle charger, plugged into a timer for one hour a day. (The same kind of timer that people use to switch home lights on/off in their homes). Worked great.

Battery Tenders are the best thing since sliced bread. You can put them on a cold battery, hot battery, or unconcerned battery and they will work as advertised.

Put it on a battery for a couple of days and go on the next, or however quickly or slowly you wish to go through your battery inventory.

Absolutely set it and forget it.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
Battery Tenders are the best thing since sliced bread. You can put them on a cold battery, hot battery, or unconcerned battery and they will work as advertised.

Put it on a battery for a couple of days and go on the next, or however quickly or slowly you wish to go through your battery inventory.

DO they have high & low temp compensation? Desulphation?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible

DO they have high & low temp compensation? Desulphation?

The tender is temperature compensated, and uses the premise that a battery kept at high SOC will not sulfate. Plus, the original battery tender can be had for $39.99 at costco currently.

I have them all, minder 12117, 12248, the new 2012, as well as the battery tender. As long as there is thermal compensation, Im comfortable. I prefer to not PWM batteries, but Ive not put the units on a scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back