Winter rim resurface (Hyundai Tiburon oem 17" Rims)

I found on market place far from nice but true and not bent oem Hyundai Tibby V6 rims that I plan on installing the Michelin X Ice snow tires on to then just swapping rims and tires for the winter season on the KIa.

Cosmetically I would like to make them better, does not need to be OEM perfect but better than a runny spray paint job they current have.

How would I go about something like this at home? removing the spray paint to the factory coat, then maybe just clearing it?

How would you handle this situation?

Thanks!

IMG_2206.jpeg
IMG_2205.jpeg

The pictures are on the small size (no closeup) and the bitog fidelityless compression makes it hard to see what we are looking at.
maybe crop it to one wheel and add that pic here so its not compressed and small.

If you want to do it right I'd remove the tires and send them off to get refinished.
otherwise you have spraypaint or plastidip type options.

In the end they are winter wheels now. I wouldnt go to much trouble on them.. but hey its what you want right?

The pictures are on the small size (no closeup) and the bitog fidelityless compression makes it hard to see what we are looking at.
maybe crop it to one wheel and add that pic here so its not compressed and small.

If you want to do it right I'd remove the tires and send them off to get refinished.
otherwise you have spraypaint or plastidip type options.

In the end they are winter wheels now. I wouldnt go to much trouble on them.. but hey its what you want right?
The winter rims on our old Sequoia were getting quite rough after 10 years of snow/ice/salt. I cleaned them up, taped off the tire and used some Wurth Silver Wheel Paint. light coats like normal rattle can painting. They looked much better and stayed silver until truck got traded in a couple years later

I quit using aluminum wheels in winter. Of course, cosmetically they deteriorate but the main thing is the sealing beads and the air leaks

Since you are replacing tires, you can take bare rims to a sand blasting place, have outside face (or whole rim) blasted and then spray paint, there are paints that stay on very well. Just do 2-3 coats.

Is it Plastidip?

I would start with a pressure washer (a good one) and perhaps simple green or purple power (do not leave it on long) and see if i could clean them that way.

If you can get the crummy coat off you can clean and scuff the underlying factory paint and refinish in the usual manners.

Well, I got a call it for today. I already blew way too many hours doing this lol tomorrow’s another day though. I have 2 rims complete and a 3rd with one side bead broken.

EB2AB399-4A68-4F39-96C7-60239A5E9415.jpeg

Pay some attention to the inner bead sealing surfaces. Looks like someone already slathered bead sealing goop on there.

Not terrible…. but at the same time I can get them fully resurfaced, refinished, sandblasted everything and make sure they’re all straight for $165 a rim…. I kind of did not want to go that route because they are only winter rims lol.

And I think it’s too cold to be painting 😂 oh well tomorrow’s in the mid 40s I’ll try again

EF69DA32-8AED-48E0-AA3B-D3F8AA70AE67.jpeg

Not terrible…. but at the same time I can get them fully resurfaced, refinished, sandblasted everything and make sure they’re all straight for $165 a rim….
With a little shopping and patience you should be able to buy, for $165, a decent new 17" alloy wheel, low pressure cast.

This stuff worked pretty well on the first rim without too much scraping. I will do the other 3 today and go from there lol.
IMG_2242.jpeg

Back