Winter Blend Recommendations in BMW M54

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG'ers -- please reply to this ONLY if you have constructive advise...don't waste your time telling me you wouldn't recommend this...cause I'm doing it anyway ;-)

I have a 2002 BMW 525iT with the 2.5L M54 wagon. After a short trip to Toronto this summer, I also have one 5L jug of Shell Rotella T5 0w40 "Arctic Blend" that I just had to have :) This oil is API SJ (BMW requires API SH), and from what I've been able to research, has the following properties:

KV40 85.8cSt
KV100 15.0cSt
VI 185
TBN 9
HTHS 4.0cP

Here is my question. I only have appx 5.2qts of the T5 0w40, and my sump takes about 6.5. What should I use for the other quart+ ?? Choices are as follows:

-- Shell Rotella T6 5w40 (got tons for my wife's PD-TDI)
-- Mobil 0w40

-- Something else you would recommend?? Must be widely available at retail (AZ, AAP, WM, car dealer) or a Redline oil I can get nearby at Summit Racing Equipment.

My goal would be to stay as "true" to the original T5 0w40 formulation as possible. Also, this oil will be in the vehicle from Nov-March in NE Ohio. So temps as low as 0 are possible, and single digit temps are common.

That said, what would you suggest?

Thanks,
Matt

The T6 is probably closer in composition to the T5 that you bought, so that would probably be my preference, but I'm sure topping off with M1 0w-40 will be just as fine.

By the way, this engine takes 6.9 quarts (6.5 liters).

Quote:
BMW requires API SH

According to BMW, your engine requires LL01 oil.

Use the T6.
It will be much closer to the additive package of the T5 than will the M1, and a quart out of six shouldn't hurt the cold performace much.
By itself, Rotella 5W-40 is NOT a good choice for cold weather in most gas engines.
What is the VI of the 0W-40 T5?
With 85.8 at 40C and 4.0 HTHS, it may not be all that thin at 0F, and is certainly thicker at low temperatures than M1 0W-40.
Still, BMWs are happy with thick oils, and I'd use the T5 0W-40 myself, if only for the cool factor in using an oil not available here.

I heard back from Shell Technical US; they recommended using the T5 0w40 blend and then filling with T6 5w40 until full.

I could just use the T6, but I bought the T5 0w40 in Canada (for $40 CDN, gulp) and I want to use it in something. It's not suited for my wife's PD-TDI or my Cayman S motor, so into the BMW it goes. It'll be interesting to see how it does compared to the M1 0w40 I had in there last winter that didn't hold up to short trips all that well.

I'm inclined to say the T6. Safer to mix oils from the same line/manufacturer. Not that M1 wouldn't work, but it might not be "optimal".

Originally Posted By: Matt_N
I heard back from Shell Technical US; they recommended using the T5 0w40 blend and then filling with T6 5w40 until full.

You didn't expect them to say something different such as "use a competitor's product - M1 0w-40 - to top off", did you?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back