Windshield washer fluid

The profit is that it's rated +20F , so not a lot of Methanol in that to cut the water with! I wouldn't buy that for use in Buffalo, it'll freeze on your windshield going 10mph at 32F ambient

I wouldn't use it in winter. But I doubt a 20F is a major issue as heaters defrost and one would be okay probably for 90% of the winter, especially in an El Nino year. I highly doubt "Windchill" reduces freeze point, but yes it can get into the teens or even below 0F here on occasion and you want the fluid to burn through any icing when starting out...

Never heard that but don't have a VW. SuperTech Storebrand is even less, around $3.66...

I'd make my own winter mix but any iso alcohol is expensive making it silly...

I wouldn't use it in winter. But I doubt a 20F is a major issue as heaters defrost and one would be okay probably for 90% of the winter, especially in an El Nino year. I highly doubt "Windchill" reduces freeze point, but yes it can get into the teens or even below 0F here on occasion and you want the fluid to burn through any icing when starting out...
If it freezes in the reservoir it can crack it . It can also freeze the line going to the rear window . It's not worth cheap'n out on .

im hesistant to try rain x. ihear vw sensors dont play nice with this stuff?
Iirc, it was just orange one that caused issues.
I always buy -40C(F) rated fluid in freezing temps months, anything less and it can freeze in lines.
Local HD has -40C rated fluid at C$3.33 / 4L, which is about US$2.43. Making same strength winter fluid at home would cost much more.

Do an Amazon Return when it arrives. Don't even open the box to examine what's inside.
Can't return it as Amazon considers it a "hazardous substance". You can ask for a refund if the product is damaged or defective however.

It was my fault for not looking closer at the bottle pic. I'm already over the wasted ~$20. I'll use it in the warmer 5 months of the year we get.

Rural King has it for $2.49 in-store, and I believe $1.49 online.

I picked up two bottles of -30 washer fluid there yesterday for $2.50 each.

If it freezes in the reservoir it can crack it . It can also freeze the line going to the rear window . It's not worth cheap'n out on .
So much this. I worked on an '02 Trailblazer where the line had split from freezing. It was leaking at the firewall, under the passenger door, near the rear wheel and somewhere in the liftgate.

For that matter some cowls aren't easy to remove to get at windshield sprayers. And some reservoirs on cars are buried in the front clip or bumper valance.

My local City Market (Kroger) still has them for $2.99 but this is much cheaper than Walmart at $3.68/gal.
same here, ACME has it for $2.99, which makes me cringe. I guess anyone who is gen X has likely paid $0.69/gal (ditto for corned beef and chuck roast per lb.).

The one at amazon does not say, but the pic appears to say +20F? It used to be -30F but seems to be -20F around here, this time. In the summer the bottles switch to +32F, crazy. It's not any cheaper either.

1700922862399.jpg

The profit is that it's rated +20F , so not a lot of Methanol in that to cut the water with! I wouldn't buy that for use in Buffalo, it'll freeze on your windshield going 10mph at 32F ambient

The -20F version is 3x the price: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-ZC32M20EG-Solution-Windshield-Washe/dp/B01MYMSGX0
$9.70 / gal? that is hilarious, sometimes amazon eats the shipping, sometimes they do not. My AAA rechargeable batteries for $4.xx came from Ontario CA, in 2 days. I'm not sure under what conditions they can choose to not abide by the 2 day delivery....

....The one at amazon does not say, but the pic appears to say +20F? It used to be -30F but seems to be -20F around here, this time. In the summer the bottles switch to +32F, crazy. It's not any cheaper either.

View attachment 190131

Yep, it's indeed a +20F freeze point per the bottles and the box. The case of 6 bottles was waiting for me in front of my garage door when I got home from work yesterday. I'll have to throw it in the basement until spring as this stuff will be useless for me for winter use. Potentially dangerous to the components as well.

I worked for a company whose trucks were all serviced in Florida. They always used the +20F washer fluid. When they were up in the Chicago area we gave then a squirt bottle full of good WW antifreeze so they could at least get back to warmer climes.

just an fyi Motorcraft -20 washer fluid is 9.99 part #zc32m20eg

amazon.com is seller and shipper. Why anyone would pay $10 for washer fluid is beyond me.

Back