Windshield Repair or Scam

Safelite just did a windshield repair on my Sierra. This was a spider crack less than the size of a quarter. The Tech told me up front that I would “still be able to see it”. I guess I was really surprised that it doesn’t look any different after his “repair”. Am I expecting too much or is that just how it is?

I think the idea is that it won't spread from a small spider to something that grows and eventually spans the entire windshield.

If it doesn't expand, did the repairs work? I guess they did. Would it have not grown if the repair wasn't made? You'll never know.

I think the idea is that it won't spread from a small spider to something that grows and eventually spans the entire windshield.

If it doesn't expand, did the repairs work? I guess they did. Would it have not grown if the repair wasn't made? You'll never know.
Had a small rock chip on the windshield of the F-150 for 3 years and it never spread. I don't even think the Toyota dealer noticed it when I traded it for the Venza. You never know if they will run.

I think the sooner you have it repaired the better it will look and hold, the longer it sits dirt can get in there and it's hard to get it out. When my Lucerne got a small chip in the windshield, I immediately went to the windshield doctor and got it repaired with in an hour of it happening, of course I was lucky they were open. You have to look really hard and have the sun at the right angle to see it, unless you are me and know it's there ;)

Safelite just did a windshield repair on my Sierra. This was a spider crack less than the size of a quarter. The Tech told me up front that I would “still be able to see it”. I guess I was really surprised that it doesn’t look any different after his “repair”. Am I expecting too much or is that just how it is?
I had it done once and for sure I could see it and it was in my direct line of sight. Told him, the insurance company it sucked, I had to argue with insurance to get the windshield replaced, turned it into a safety concern with the ins. company.
That being said, the next time I had a bad crack in the windshield that I know would be spot fixed again, it spread so large (cough cough) it needed replacement.

There is usually visual distortion where the repair is, and if the damage is severe enough, sometimes still somewhat visible. Line of sight, for me, means new windshield time. Even if it’s out of pocket.

I've had it both ways. Chips repaired, the windshield looked great and the cracks didn't spread.

And a double chip (that rock somehow hit twice) right in my line of sight. It was better when it was fixed but the distorted view really bothered me so I had the windshield replaced. I had the rock chips repaired at a glass shop and only paid the difference to get the windshield replaced. I don't usually carry glass coverage so my insurance company (the bank of me) approved the whole thing without any complaint.

I carry plastic stick ons to cover rock chips. That way rock chips don't get water or dirt in them before they can be repaired.

That being said, the next time I had a bad crack in the windshield that I know would be spot fixed again, it spread so large (cough cough) it needed replacement.
Yep, real shame how that happens... you just never can tell which ones will grow... ;)

Literally it was a spider crack not more than 3/4 of an inch. It looks exactly like before. The Safelite tech showed up in a personal car. He was wearing a Safelite hat and shirt. Had a Safelite form to sign. Unfortunately I was tied up with work stuff so I couldn’t stay with him in the garage so I didn’t see what (if anything) he did. I’m leaning towards taking a photo and sending it to Safelite and asking if this indeed is their typical repair…

Literally it was a spider crack not more than 3/4 of an inch. It looks exactly like before. The Safelite tech showed up in a personal car. He was wearing a Safelite hat and shirt. Had a Safelite form to sign. Unfortunately I was tied up with work stuff so I couldn’t stay with him in the garage so I didn’t see what (if anything) he did. I’m leaning towards taking a photo and sending it to Safelite and asking if this indeed is their typical repair…
If you put you hand in a plastic sandwich bag and rub over the spot does it feel smooth. When I did my repair on my Lucerne this is what the tech did, handed me a piece of plastic and had me rub over the chip, it felt ruff and had a small hole where the rock hit, afterwards it was a lot smoother.

Reactions: GON
If you used your insurance for the repair, call them and tell them the repair was not able to fix the crack. You want a new windshield, repair didn't work. They'll set you up.

I have had a few spider cracks repaired. All but one were visable except for one once the repair was complete. None spread so in my opinion the repair was complete. I personally would live with a repair than replacing a windshield with the potential headaches that might come with that. Only if it was directly in front of my line of sight would I consider a replacement. Unfortunately cars get some damage from use I wouldnt sweat it

Safelite repaired a star crack on my Vibe and it was stable for another five years until I got rid of the car. It was still visible after the repair, but maybe not quite as much. Their deal at the time was that if the crack spread, they would credit what I had paid toward a new windshield. I didn't go through insurance but just paid about $100 for the repair.

I used the Permatex kit on my Silverado and it has been OK for 15 years now. That's kind of surprising, because a big rock caused two damage spots, a star and a bullseye. It still passes Virginia inspections, though.

**** you have a windshield deductible? I didn't think anyone did anymore.
Depends on the state you live in. I pay an extra premium to have free windshield replacement coverage with no deductible here in Ohio. I also pay extra to have factory OEM body parts used in case of an accident instead of aftermarket or used.

Back