Windshield polish?

I have recently seen several polishing kits (example here) claiming to improve windshield pitting but have no experience with them. My windshield is not particularly bad but pretty much learned text for 137k miles. Does anyone have experience with these kits? Do they do anything positive or just drain the wallet?

I use polishing kits to remove any acid etching that shows up. It'll show up in nearly all windshields.
Polishing kits will not remove scratches that catch your fingernail. They're too deep.
I doubt it would work with pits in a windshield.
I think $72 is a lot to pay for that kit.

Most of their products are really good and I could see this being used on a number matching restoration for a valuable car. The reality is it will only do as much as it can considering what you are working with. It won't remove pitting or scratches that are any depth at all. I imagine it would give you better clarity, but that is about it.

Pitting cannot be polished. When the glass is pitted, material is gone. Compound and pads can only remove surface defects.

If you have pitting, you need a new windshield.

Pitting cannot be polished. When the glass is pitted, material is gone. Compound and pads can only remove surface defects.

If you have pitting, you need a new windshield.
That is what I feared! I suspect the best approach is to just replace it, but it is a tough call for a 14 y.o. car. Still runs great and is in good shape but hard to spend much on a car that will likely only be around for a few more years.

CarPro Ceriglass. Make sure you get their pads too as they're the best I have found.

Be aware that it is a messy and time consuming process. I did it once and probably never will again.
That sounds promising but if you wouldn't do it again, I will probably not do it once!

Super easy to use and does not require a big clean up. Only water. Finally powdered rice hulls works fantastic on glass and many other surfaces for polishing. The down side is the company seems to only sell in the PI anymore so unless you know someone ....

Glass is 10 times harder than paint. If you think buffing out a minor door scratch is tedious, it will take 10 times as much time and effort on glass. And for pits, forget about it. Just live with it if you don't expect to keep it long and it isn't annoying.

This old and pitted windshield would likely benefit from getting polished with a glass polishing compound. While you can't remove pitting and deeper scratches, removing surface etching and fine scratches should improve clarity especially in difficult lighting conditions. You really do have to use glass polishing compound, though.

Thanks for these suggestions! I will sew what I can done locally and start with a small area, then decide whether it is too much work. Thr windshield condition is only annoying when driving into the sun so I may decide to just live with it!

Back