Windshield leak

I found the avalanche windshield leaking today as I drove in the rain.
The leak is in the upper driver's side corner.
I realize the best option is to just put in a new windshield.

But is there a reasonable way to seal it ?
I'm thinking about a flowable sealer like maybe headlight lens sealer, since it's on the upper corner.
Pics below. 2nd pic is from the roof above the windshield looking down from the driverside doorway.

P.S. those are deer in my drive.

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_172502533.jpg
    IMG_20210211_172502533.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210211_172557829.jpg
    IMG_20210211_172557829.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 77

I'm thinking about a flowable sealer like maybe headlight lens sealer, since it's on the upper corner.
Pics below. 2nd pic is from the roof above the windshield looking down from the driverside doorway.

Do you have full coverage insurance? Comprehensive should cover it.

I think so, i just hate having to do that. I'll price a windshield out cash first. Sometimes i've gotten a good cash price vs filing a claim.
I enlarged your 2nd pic. It looks like the seal has a hole in it and is pulling away from the frame. Maybe filling that hole with a sealant might help. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.
BTW, are the deer spooked by your presence or your vehicles?

Most YouTube videos suggest using flowable silicone (the same was suggested here too) but folks in the windshield industry discourage the use because it expands and contracts with temperature. Some use a gasket maker, which may be of use to you.

Either way, you will be told that there is rust in that area and unless it is 'fixed', a new windshield can not be installed.

I have a pinhole in the middle of the top part of the windshield. The price quoted to me was more than what the car is worth. I tried using flowable silicone but it didn't work. Use of the gasket maker was not possible due to the way the windshield and the area are designed. Finally, I just used paint protection film where the windshield meets the roof and so far it is holding it well.

Decades ago, this problem plagued at least the cars I owned. On one of them I removed the windshield and properly remounted it with correct sealant.

If the seam is at all dirty or wet (and it is and will be forever more until the windshield is removed) sealant will have nothing to bond to and will not work.

More pics, the passenger side looks the same from the top.

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_175353894.jpg
    IMG_20210211_175353894.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 22
Another pic of the drivers side.
I don't know if the water is coming in from the top, or from under the front of the windshield, as I drive.

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_175428723.jpg
    IMG_20210211_175428723.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 19
If the seam is at all dirty or wet (and it is and will be forever more until the windshield is removed) sealant will have nothing to bond to and will not work.
I agree, nothing now as it's soaking wet. The leak on the headliner is small, but I only drove 10 miles in the rain

I agree, nothing now as it's soaking wet. The leak on the headliner is small, but I only drove 10 miles in the rain
I just went through this on my aircraft. Small leak, only in heavy rain. I did everything I could to flush the dirt and water out and re-seal it without removing the window.

Not even PS 870 would plug it.

When I finally replaced the window, you could see why. Dirt and moisture that couldn't be removed.

Believe me, management wanted every option exhausted before dropping $20k on a new transparency - not to mention the 20-odd hours it took me to fit it.

And I'm the best window guy we have.

Use the flowable windshield sealer, lift the rubber with a plastic tool and get it as far into the seal as you can. It will seal it.

Had the same leak in my 07 Silverado in the same location. Thought it might be the clearance lights or sharkfin antenna but it was windshield. Used windshield urethane to seal it up from the outside. Worked great.

Had the same leak in my 07 Silverado in the same location. Thought it might be the clearance lights or sharkfin antenna but it was windshield. Used windshield urethane to seal it up from the outside. Worked great.
Thanks, how did you access under the trim? From the top or did you pry it off and reglue the trim?

Mine is the new body Silverado so it might be different, but I just removed the upper trim completely. Laid down the urethane and worked it smooth with a putty knife. Even against the glass, a little below the windshield opening on the body for reveal. Was going to cover it with some universal molding but it looked fine without.

I’d use the flowable silicone until the windshield is replaced. The goal is to slow down or stop decay of the pinch weld if the current windshield was a replacement. There’s a good chance the paint got nicked by a long knive or piano wire during the removal process.

I’d use the flowable silicone until the windshield is replaced. The goal is to slow down or stop decay of the pinch weld if the current windshield was a replacement. There’s a good chance the paint got nicked by a long knive or piano wire during the removal process.
I think I have the original windshield, not 100%

I think I have the original windshield, not 100%
Look for the markings(the “bug”). OEM GM glass has the GM logo on it and is made by Pilkington(aka LOF), PPG(now Vitro) or Vitro(Crinamex or Auto Templex).

Older GM OEM glass will say Solar-Ray or Sof-Ray with the PPG or LOF logo centered within the markings.

and it’s a new truck, I’d have the dealer take a look at it. Glass is a body part.

Back