Windows Security Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I noticed that Windows XP Media Center addition has Windows Security Center, which has a virus program and firewall. I have both of these turned on. I'm also running MaAffee Security Center and have their firewall/anti-virus prgrams turned on. Should both be used or should I turn off the Windows Security Center? Thanks.

I'm almost sure the Windows firewall only blocks incoming traffic, McAffee blocks traffic both ways. No need for both.

Mcaffee Security Center should turn of the windows security center. Actually, in the installation of Mcaffee, you're asked whether you want Mcaffee to act as the windows security center, which you should do. All the windows security center does is moniter whether you have antivirus, firewall, and automatic updates. Having the windows firewall on won't interfere with Mcaffee because the windows only stops inbound attempts, but you should turn it off because it's redundant with Mcaffee. So, I'd change the settings so Mcaffe is your security center and then the windows one will be disabled.

buster, I am no expert on computers. But I have always heard that only one software firewall should be used at a time. If you have high speed internet with cable or DSL you really should have a software firewall and a NAT hardware router/firewall. You can have both a hardware and a software firewall. But not two software firewalls.

Drew you're correct. I was looking at it wrong. All it was saying is that Mcaffee was ON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back