Windows 8.1 Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully you guys can help me resolve an issue I'm having. I recently tried to wake my computer from sleep mode and I got some message about an error that I don't fully recall. It was something about memory and then a message stated it was going to do some type of repair. Honestly I don't remember the exact wording and it popped up and was gone before too long. It went to black screen soon after.

At any rate, when I try to boot up the computer, it will quickly display a small Windows icon with the rotating circles underneath, then go to black screen. No curser. If I hold down the Windows key and click I can turn on the talking navigator but so far have been unsuccessful getting anywhere blind. Pun intended
smile.gif
I'm able to open the UEFI bios utility during boot-up and see that just fine and nothing seems out of the ordinary although I'm not an expert. I'm guessing it's not a hardware issue but something in Windows?

I can't figure out how to get to safe mode when I can't see anything. I wish I could get to the device manager, I'd look into a graphics driver issue.

I should note I have not made any changes or updates to anything recently. I have Windows Update set to manual so I can run them when I choose. I'm also using onboard graphics so no video card.

Any and all help is appreciated!!

Pertinent Specs (nothing overclocked):
Asus Z97-AR MoBo
Intel i5-4690k 3.5GHz
(2) 4GB 1600MHz Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Ram
Samsung 850 Evo SSD boot drive
WD Black HDD for storage
Seasonic 550W PSU
Samsung HDMI Monitor

I would re-seat the memory and if that don't help try booting with just one of the 4 gig sticks - one could be bad?

If that don't help get a friend to make a bootable Linux DVD or or USB Thumb Drive and go into the Bios and boot off of it. If it boots then that will let you know that there is something wrong with your O/S. I like to use Linux Mint for trouble shooting but that is just a personal preference.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I would re-seat the memory and if that don't help try booting with just one of the 4 gig sticks - one could be bad?

If that don't help get a friend to make a bootable Linux DVD or or USB Thumb Drive and go into the Bios and boot off of it. If it boots then that will let you know that there is something wrong with your O/S. I like to use Linux Mint for trouble shooting but that is just a personal preference.

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I did re-seat both memory sticks but when I get home I'll pull one and see if it'll boot okay with just one. For some reason I thought they had to run in pairs.

I have a laptop at home so I'll read the link and try making a bootable USB drive.

Thanks again!!

Sorry for not posting last night but the wife had plans for us last night that I wasn't aware of, so I didn't get back to working on this until late.

There was no change using only one stick of RAM. Neither stick worked on it's own and I did make sure to put it in the correct slot as directed in the manual for using one stick.

I did however have success in booting to the USB drive that I made, thanks. It was a little confusing since I thought I'd have to change the boot order but USB wasn't an option. When I started it up with the stick installed, it would ask if I wanted to boot to the CD/DVD drive so I figured what the heck and went with that. It ended up booting from the USB and I was able to get to the troubleshooting screen.

I tried a couple things and repair didn't work and reverting back to a previous store point didn't work either. At that point I ran out of time and went to bed. Tonight we have a Christmas party to go to and then I'll get back to it but at least I can see what I'm doing. If I have to reinstall Windows, then so be it.

Thanks for your help, I'll post results again later.

As it turns out I was booting up the Windows disc, not the USB stick, and get to the troubleshooting screen. I run restore and it goes through the setup just fine, and gets to the desktop. A few items in device manager have issues, one of which is the Ethernet controller, so I use the Asus motherboard disc to install the driver which works. I start updating the other drivers and in the middle of that, I get a musical tone and the screen goes black again.

I run restore again and this time I leave it sit running for over an hour. It sits there just fine with no issues. I update the Ethernet controller again and this time I open IE to see if there are newer drivers on the Asus web site but not long after, I get the same musical tone and then black screen. I open narrater and everything is still there, I just can't see it.
mad.gif

What's my next course of action? Why would it restore just fine and then sit there with no issues until I start to do something? This build has been running beautifully since I built it earlier this year up until now.

I searched Windows sounds and found out the tone I'm hearing is Hardware Connect. I'm not plugging anything in at the time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back