Windows 7 is back, thanks to HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, didn't read this particular article, but read that HP never really stopped offering it; earlier last summer, I had no problem buying a discounted W7 machine for my father, who seems pretty happy with it; "You don't want W8" is what I told him.

HP CEO Meg Whitman is using good, old fashioned, common sense give the customer what they want at a reasonable price with good quality. She is one of the rare HP CEOs in their recent history to do just that.

I always liked HP, and had good luck with their desktop PCs and when I needed help their phone support was generally very good with US based tech support manning those phones.

I love my Windows 7 HP. I have a Pavilion dv6 laptop, and my parents have an HP desktop, both Windows 7. I've seen Windows 8, and I know when it's time for a new comp, I'm sticking with 7.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
"You don't want W8" is what I told him.

Bingo.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Interesting. Especially since I was thinking of getting a new machine.

Agreed....I will be looking at HPs now...

My wife is a programmer for HP. I've got a kid who will be starting college in August and will be needing a new laptop. This latest offering from HP, plus the employee discount, means that this is a no-brainer.

I had a horrible customer service experience while purchasing my last HP ultra-portable, and while it does have some quirks that annoy me, my little DM1 Super "netbook" has been great, nothing but quiet, cool and reliable.

I still don't think I'd buy another HP over, say, an Asus or Lenovo, but I do prefer WIN7, so HP may win me there...

Hmm you always get downgrade rights, if you have Win 8 and you want Win 7 call your computer company, i.e. Dell, HP, etc and they'll provide a copy of Win 7 most likely for free you just have to prove ownership/purchase.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
My wife is a programmer for HP. I've got a kid who will be starting college in August and will be needing a new laptop. This latest offering from HP, plus the employee discount, means that this is a no-brainer.

Unless you like OS/X...

Win 7 never went away on business class laptops.

This last July I bought a HP ProBook 4540s (E1Z2OUT#ABA) that has Win 7 Professional for $599 at Micro Center.

15.6" Full HD LED, i5 3230M, 750GB 7200rpm, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon 7650M, USB3.0, HDMI, DVD

I researched and shopped extensively before choosing it and have been very happy with it. I think the cost versus features and performance makes for an excellent value.

HP got this one right, the first time.

Got a Window 8 laptop for wife and was OK after adding Classic Shell and eliminating the tiles. Then downloaded Window 8.1, a big download and it added a lock screen before the log in screen. I didn't have both before the download and didn't want them.

I read how to eliminate them and guess I'll have to.

While Win7 never went away on business class laptops. However, n the consumer space, walk in to a Best Buy or Office Depot...all are WIn8/8.1.

So Win7 is an option for the masses who want to buy a PC today.

I run a 6 year old HP laptop with XP on it. The laptop itself is showing external wear and it needs new hinges on the screen.

I'm accessing this site on an iPad 4 right now but the laptop is my "business" machine.

Toshiba also still has it on some laptops, just bought one recently. As many have mentioned it's always been there you just had to hunt for it.

Lenovo still offers Win7 on many machines.

Interestingly on my very recent computer a thinkpad W530 it was an "option" you had to click to get Win 8.1 as the default was Windows 7. However my laptop is intended for "real work" and is a mobile workstation.

There are a few HP machines with some sort of i7 laptop that reboots or locks up when stressed likely due to heat produced.

They all were replaced with Mac Book Pro's. Interestingly enough they all have VirtualBox with Win7 running on the new machines so they could not get that far away from windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back