Windows 11 search--any better than W10 or competitors?

I just pulled the trigger on a new laptop. Got tired of nursing this current 6yo model along. Interestingly enough, the hardware specs are far better, but it is only $3 more than the older model.

I am wondering about desktop search. I found Windows 10 search didn't always find things, but installing Copernic would find those same files with the same search terms.

Have any of you who use Windows 11, found that it is either better than the search function for W10, or just as good as other offerings?

FWIW I need to search more than just file names, but the contents within the file.

I suppose I can try the native search for a week or two just to see how it works, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else had experience with this.

IMO EVERY newer version of windows is NOT as good!!! i preferred the windows 7 in my oldest laptop, evrrything easier to find + unlike windows 10 that "opens" things at will as the cursor quickly passes by!!! of course newer hardware like SSD's are said to be MUCH faster + more storage is surely a plus!!

IMO EVERY newer version of windows is NOT as good!!! i preferred the windows 7 in my oldest laptop, evrrything easier to find + unlike windows 10 that "opens" things at will as the cursor quickly passes by!!! of course newer hardware like SSD's are said to be MUCH faster + more storage is surely a plus!!
Why would you bump a year old thread just to tell people that you preferred windows 7?

In case Paulri reads this: the search in Microsoft Teams is pretty good. I suspect there’s a better indexer in OneDrive that’s behind the improvement. Searching via Teams seems unintuitive, but last week I accidentally searched there and a bunch of matches came up. Go figure.

This is a good question, I'm avoiding 11 for other reasons but I'm quite curious about search. I remember it being less annoying in the Vista through 7, maybe 8.x days (8.1 was my favorite way back!) but man, I type too much of a query and top match is replaced - I get the thinking behind it is "oh if he keeps typing that means he doesn't want this result!" but I do! I just don't react that fast!

Given their priorities and going ham with their fancy Bing just over the horizon I'd expect not but I'd love to be wrong.

Back