Windows 10 Upgrade Guide

Just a couple simple things to search/read about/install if so desired

By far, the easiest and most powerful file manager and Explorer File Manager replacement is Directory Opus -- very useful in Win10 and Win11
Rufus boot disk from USB makes portable .iso installation quick and easy, have now installed several new and old machines from an image
Open-Shell from github is a very nice desktop/shell tool that makes it easy for users coming from WIndows 7 to Windows 10/11 - restores familiar look

I can confirm that, as of yesterday, the free Win 7 --> Win 10 upgrade still works. I made a bootable flash drive with the Win 10 files, then ran the setup program on the flash drive when it was plugged in to the running Win 7 machine. It was an in-place upgrade with applications and user files left in place. I grabbed the Windows 7 and Office keys before the upgrade began, but they were not needed.

Last edited:
every upgrade is a DOWNGRADE IMO as W's7 did all i needed without issue + ONLY reason i have W10 is because it was on my newer HP laptop!!

Is there any way to back-out of the Win7 to Win10 upgrade process if something goes sideways?

If a Dell computer is updated from Win7 to Win10, I take it that Dell Support will not recognize the machine any more and therefore the various drivers/BIOS etc updates on Dell's site won't work anymore on the machine - ?. Or will the Dell Support tool recognize that the machine buy the Dell tag number and know it has been updated from Win7 to Win10 ?

If a Dell computer is updated from Win7 to Win10, I take it that Dell Support will not recognize the machine any more and therefore the various drivers/BIOS etc updates on Dell's site won't work anymore on the machine - ?. Or will the Dell Support tool recognize that the machine buy the Dell tag number and know it has been updated from Win7 to Win10 ?
It will recognize it.

having windows 8.1 + 7 on other laptops i a not techie tried without success to download windows 10 even though windows 7 is by far my FAV, tips appreciated!!

I bought a used HP Zbook 1st gen 17inch laptop off of Ebay back in 2016 for $600. It came with Windows 7 Pro. I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (during the free upgrade period), and have been using Windows 10 Pro ever since. Windows 10 Pro is rock solid. It works 100% as it should all the time. Those HP Zbook's are made to be on 24x365 for 10+ years, and so it's ultra reliable. I connected it to a big screen monitor and desktop keyboard. The laptop has low power consumption so it doesn't add much to my electric bill.
I'm hoping to keep that laptop for another 7 years until 2030.

Back