Windows 10 Upgrade Guide

Originally Posted by 69GTX
So what will happen to windows 7 users that just "do nothing."

They will enjoy the stable stage of the OS.

With proper malware, spyware, ad blocker, and security system loaded can't the most recent Windows 7 keep on cranking for years?

Someone intruding into your system because of an OS vulnerability isn't a virus - It is someone who has accessed your machine remotely. What they choose to do with that access: steal data, encrypt your data in order to extort a ransom from you, etc. is also not a virus. An ad blocker is a browser add-on; and OS vulnerabilities exists way farther down than that.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
With proper malware, spyware, ad blocker, and security system loaded can't the most recent Windows 7 keep on cranking for years?

Someone intruding into your system because of an OS vulnerability isn't a virus - It is someone who has accessed your machine remotely. What they choose to do with that access: steal data, encrypt your data in order to extort a ransom from you, etc. is also not a virus. An ad blocker is a browser add-on; and OS vulnerabilities exists way farther down than that.

Exactly
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I updated my Alienware M18 last month. One thing I noticed was I had to wait 30 days or so to do the major updates.

Most likely due to lack of disk space or presence of Windows.old folder on HDD. That folder stays there for 30 days.
You could have removed the folder via using Disk Cleanup.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I was able to find drivers Gateway didn't have by using Microsoft Update Catalog.

Yup, that's another excellent resource
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by madRiver
No real pain in updating in place on a Win7 Pro machine.

It is important though to make sure you go to your laptop support site and get the specific drivers for your machine (my case Thinkpad W530). The PC was running real hot running chrome and Minecraft for daughter. After visiting the Lenovo site and getting latest drivers it went away. I think the nVidia driver is what helped as laptop has a built in video card.

I have three t530 South Nvidia card. Only issue I had was running a benchmark test the Nvidia card caused a blue screen of death. I recently got a bios update from Lenovo pushed to my computer, never thought to see if it fixed that.

It was already a fast machine for day to day tasks on Windows 10 but I ran a debloat script I found in a YouTube video and it's even better now. Pretty amazing for a 7 year old machine actually.

I installed the windows 10 update for free with the iso image on a flash drive. I had no major problems with the process, just followed step by step from a YouTube video.

Wow just saw my typos, that's what I get for trying to post quickly while at work during short downtime.

I meant I have a t530 with the Nvidia card.

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo on one PC. When I did the upgrade and finally got to the login screen, there were no drivers for the wireless keyboard. The mouse somehow worked, but not the keyboard. I plugged in a USB keyboard to log in, after which Windows discovered both keyboards and installed drivers for them.

Thanks for those inputs on continuing using Windows 7. I don't down load any apps.....don't even use any. Only extra programs beyond Windows 7 are Flash, Adobe, Java.

Oh boy, you need to upgrade...ASAP.

Not upgrading is one thing, but not upgrading and then using Flash, Adobe, and Java on that Un-upgraded system would be like dropping liability insurance coverage and then engage in street racing, drifting, and bank robbing, and hoping to steer clear of any lawsuits.

Seriously, upgrade...them stop using Flash and Java.

Thanks for those inputs on continuing using Windows 7. I don't down load any apps.....don't even use any. Only extra programs beyond Windows 7 are Flash, Adobe, Java.

Yep ... same here. I'm going to run Win7 for awhile and will probably shop for a new computer anyway in the next few months since my current one is around 6 years old now. I've got full blown Malwarebytes and MSE (which still gets security updates from Microsoft), and firewall and proper settings on my modem. Haven't installed new software of any kind and don't plan to. Don't surf sketchy websites so the risk is low.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yep ... same here. I'm going to run Win7 for awhile and will probably shop for a new computer anyway in the next few months since my current one is around 6 years old now. I've got full blown Malwarebytes and MSE (which still gets security updates from Microsoft), and firewall and proper settings on my modem. Haven't installed new software of any kind and don't plan to. Don't surf sketchy websites so the risk is low.

Unless the computer is air-gapped from any networks, it's vulnerable to malicious (automated) intrusion. The really sinister part is that it could be taken over and made part of a bot net without you ever even knowing. Your internet bandwidth and computer's processing power can be quite valuable to the right (nefarious) people.

Originally Posted by John_Conrad
How long should the w7 to w10 conversion take?

i'm planning to do this over my wifi at work

thanks

That'll be largely dependent on your internet speed and computer speed: You'll be downloading the whole Win10 installation, which I believe clocks in at ~4GB. For some workplace internet connections that might not take too terribly long; but others might. Then the computer has to do all of the upgrading. In my lone experience doing this a few years ago it took about an hour, but that was a laptop and it was a few years ago.

There'll be reboots a'plenty so save your work and close your applications.

I recall too that there was a pre-upgrade checking application provided by Microsoft that verified Win10 compatibility on your machine. (All I could find during a quick Googling was this: https://www.zdnet.com/article/will-...idden-compatibility-checker-to-find-out/)

Originally Posted by John_Conrad
How long should the w7 to w10 conversion take?

i'm planning to do this over my wifi at work

thanks

On an average PC without an SSD you are looking at a couple hours including the download on a decent connection. On one with an SSD and faster connection, it will be less than an hour.

whatever you do back up first.
even better make a disk image so if things go sideways or some vital program wont work under 10 without a costly upgrade you get back to original configuration.

Originally Posted by kc8adu
whatever you do back up first.
even better make a disk image so if things go sideways or some vital program wont work under 10 without a costly upgrade you get back to original configuration.

While having a current backup of your system is always advisable before any major change, you do have 30 days to roll back to your previous configuration/OS if 10 breaks anything.

Excellent post!

We are having all kinds of trouble with Windows 10 in GM plants and with our diagnostic hardware and programming tools. Work arounds have been inplemented but the upgrade was not easy going. I lost a few good software packages for auto diagnostics that I am upset about. I really hate the "look and feel" of windows 10 as well.

Back