Windows 10 2004 (May 2020 Update) is out

Had one Windows 10 update nuke the driver for my wifi adapter. On the next boot, it came up with no internet connection. Tried to reconnect to my wifi, but I couldn't bring up the list of networks. Dug deeper and found "unknown network adapter" in the device manager. Well, it was known and working before the update, no hardware or disk problems with the machine. Yeah, I'm a little paranoid of Windows updates.

Originally Posted by paulri
Windows 10 lets the user delay updates. I delay feature updates by 60 days, and security updates not at all.

I'm using the Home edition which I can delay uodates for awhile (35 days) but I don't see where you can allow only security updates to still install. Or is delaying updates just for all non security uodates?

Also, are updates automatically downloaded and just waiting for installation? If so, and they are delayed from installing, how does that help if the download is buggy to begin with?

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/delay-windows-10-updates

Edit - I see in the article I linked above were the setting is to allow security updates (I think). Microsoft could have made that setting a bit more clear IMO.

Last edited:
Question - when you have Windows update "paused" does Windows still show you pending updates as they come in? In other words, will I see this May 2020 Update v2004 show up when I look at Windows Update, or do I need to take the pause off to see it? I don't want it download and say I have to reboot my computer ... by then it's too late to hold off a potentially buggy update.

[Linked Image]

Delay the install, we are already having issues with this 2004 update at work where I had to roll back to previous restore point to make one of the main work apps work as intended.

Did the update on one computer, no issues so far. I expected it to install the new Chromium Edge, but it didn't. I wonder if a fresh install will?

Originally Posted by dishdude
Did the update on one computer, no issues so far. I expected it to install the new Chromium Edge, but it didn't. I wonder if a fresh install will?

Chromium edge is not part of windows update, you can download it separately.

My mom called me yesterday saying that her computer was doing weird things.
Sure enough, the update installed, I forgot to turn off automatic updates on hers (it is Win 10 Pro).
Nothing major, but had to go and turn off Skype, OneDrive, reset Opera to default browser and a few other little things.

Did a clean install no problems. Microsoft Edge is the install. Might be the updates are giving problems reason for the delay.

Last edited:
Wondering how many here have allowed the Windows 10, version 2004 update to install, and if you had any issues. I have it "on hold" right now.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Wondering how many here have allowed the Windows 10, version 2004 update to install, and if you had any issues. I have it "on hold" right now.

I allow it on my personal and all of my company's PC. While I've had issues with the updates in the past, I rather deal with a few PCs than have to deal with the whole network being shut down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

I allow it on my personal and all of my company's PC. While I've had issues with the updates in the past, I rather deal with a few PCs than have to deal with the whole network being shut down.

With Windows 10 in the home environment, can only delay updates up to 30 days I believe.

There's a lot of known issues still in "Investigating" status for Windows 10, version 2004. Some look rare and specific, so may not matter to 99% of people getting the update.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My Pause ends July 7th.
I'm hoping to lengthen the Pause on July 6th.

Not sure if you can ... I'm thinking about doing that too if possible. Even though my update is paused, I get this message. Sounds like it wouldn't have hit my machine yet if it wasn't paused. Microsoft rolls the big updates out in waves, not all at once.

[Linked Image]

My Pause ends July 7th.

Not sure if you can ... I'm thinking about doing that too if possible. Even though my update is paused, I get this message. Sounds like it wouldn't have hit my machine yet if it wasn't paused. Microsoft rolls the big updates out in waves, not all at once.

FYI update: I found that if you go into your updates and look at the "Advanced Options > Pause updates" when you are close to your pause expiring, and open the date drop down that more in the future dates will show up beyond when you first put updates on pause. Seems like if you do it that way you can just keep extending the pause. Example: When I first paused the updates the furthest out date shown was 7/1/2020. Looking now, it shows to now go out to 7/18/2020.

I installed it on my 1 year old laptop when it came out last week and reverted back to 1909. It was responding incredibly slowly and was killing my CPU (I have an i7-8550U and 16GB of RAM). It may have conflicted with an application, but I did not want to spend the time to figure it out.

I will wait a while before installing it again.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I installed it on my 1 year old laptop when it came out last week and reverted back to 1909. It was responding incredibly slowly and was killing my CPU (I have an i7-8550U and 16GB of RAM). It may have conflicted with an application, but I did not want to spend the time to figure it out.

I will wait a while before installing it again.

Since I found I can slowly keep pausing it as described earlier, I'll probably wait a month before installing version 2004.

My Pause ends July 7th.

FYI update: I found that if you go into your updates and look at the "Advanced Options > Pause updates" when you are close to your pause expiring, and open the date drop down that more in the future dates will show up beyond when you first put updates on pause. Seems like if you do it that way you can just keep extending the pause. Example: When I first paused the updates the furthest out date shown was 7/1/2020. Looking now, it shows to now go out to 7/18/2020.

Thanks for the update on the update.

I cannot advance the date of my next Windows 10 Update past July 8th. I selected / enabled metered connection on Windows Updates Advanced Options and not sure how the Update on July 8th will react to it.

For years the Update would not engage using Metered Connection. But will it stop / delay it this time-around?....... wait & see - I guess.
Those of us that allowed the Free version of Windows 10 Upgrade a few years ago are now paying the piper - so to speak. We are at their mercy.

The Suspense is killing me....lol

Last edited:
Back