window AC on double horizontal slide windows

Hello,
I moved into this place last autumn so I didn't have to install my window AC. Now that it's getting hot, I would like to install it. The problem is that I double windows (50/50) that slide both ways (I can have both sides half opened at the same time). The next problem is that I live on the ground floor and need to install it "burglar proof". If I install it on one side, the other side isn't locked so they could just open it and get in. How would you guys install it. Do you have any tricks or kits that would wedge one side and secure the other? P.s. I can't drill/screw anything as they are pvc trype windows.

thanks

First, I assume you have measured the opening to see if the unit will fit.

Window air conditioners are typically not very secure. You will need a filler piece of something to fill the gap above the unit. That’s the weak point security wise as the piece is removable.

This is where a mini split unit shines.

Pictures would definitely help here plus a picture of the A/C unit.

Maybe block out the bottom of the window and have the A/C up top, so if a burglar wants to push in the A/C to break in he'll have to be tall.

Really tough without detailed pics.

You'll likely have to use a casement window style slim a/c unit like @Fitter30 said and fill in the gaps where the screen was with plywood. They're really isn't going to be a super secure way to do it without screws, fasteners, etc.. If you can remove one whole window pane and (securely) replace it with plywood and mount the a/c unit through the plywood, that might be an option.

Another option (not ideal) is use a roll around portable a/c unit. There's some clever aftermarket adapters that can be had to route the exhaust hose into small window and sliding door gaps for those style units.

Thanks for the replies. As you can see, it's a decent size window (about 2 by 3 feet per side) and it's literally knee level (if outside). Also, the only way to lock one or both sides is if both are closed. The A/C unit it a 5000btu so it is pretty small and won't take much place in the window.
IMG_20220628_160804724[1930].jpg

The picture really helps here. Remove the right side window and place your A/C unit there. For the remaking space that could be filled with wood board. A stout piece of wood could be used on the inside and bolted to the filler board to make it harder for anyone to gain entry. That inner board could run across the top of the A/C and situate it on the room side of the window frame.

Back