Windlass Gear Box

Hello everyone, I have gained plenty of knowledge lurking for for several years periodically. I have run into one that I cannot seem to come up with a solid conclusion. I have a Lewmar Concept 1 Windless that is 17 years old. I am in the current process of rebuilding the gear box. Of course when I call Lewmar for support, they are friendly but essentially tell me the gear box is not serviceable. This is laughable, because the gear box is nothing more than a worm screw, worm wheel, 4 bearings, and 4 seals. All of the bearings and seals were available at a local bearing house. I was able to get the gear lube specs from Lewmar. It is a Omala S4 WE ISO VG 150. I only need a few ounces. The smallest I can find is 5 gals. I called Shell technical multiple times to try and find a commercially available substitute to no avail. From my reading, it looks like I need to be particular because this is a worm gear and the worm wheel is bronze.

Looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

@MolaKule might have an answer.
from a brief google that appears to be a PG oil which is hygroscopic?.. so not your normal gear oil.

Shell Omala S4 WE 150 is an ISO VG 150 grade Advanced Syththetic Industrial Gear Oil.Shell Omala S4 WE oils are Polyglycol (PG) based Fully Synthetic oils.Shell Omala S4 WE is an advanced synthetic heavy duty industrial worm drive gear oil formulated using specially selected polyalkylene glycol base fluids and additives. It offers outstanding lubrication performance under severe operating conditions, including improved energy efficiency, long service life and high resistance to micro-pitting.

Hello everyone, I have gained plenty of knowledge lurking for for several years periodically. I have run into one that I cannot seem to come up with a solid conclusion. I have a Lewmar Concept 1 Windless that is 17 years old. I am in the current process of rebuilding the gear box. Of course when I call Lewmar for support, they are friendly but essentially tell me the gear box is not serviceable. This is laughable, because the gear box is nothing more than a worm screw, worm wheel, 4 bearings, and 4 seals. All of the bearings and seals were available at a local bearing house. I was able to get the gear lube specs from Lewmar. It is a Omala S4 WE ISO VG 150. I only need a few ounces. The smallest I can find is 5 gals. I called Shell technical multiple times to try and find a commercially available substitute to no avail. From my reading, it looks like I need to be particular because this is a worm gear and the worm wheel is bronze.

Looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.
Lewmar will not sell you some? Other windlass manufacturers? Probably all use the same lube.

Ask on boatered.com

Lewmar will not sell you some? Other windlass manufacturers? Probably all use the same lube.

Ask on boatered.com
Unfortunately Lewmar is out of England. They source the gear box from Italy. Nothing manufactured in the US. So far I haven’t found anyone there that can sell or source this. There has to be a some commercial crossover.

Contact these folks. I am willing to bet they can either provide u with an equivant lube or at the very least point you to someone who can. They can maybe offer you something in a smaller amount than a gallon. Likely a quart size offering. They sell lubes for all types of industrial equipment to marine applications and even grease/lubes required in food industry equipment.

SYNCO Chemical Corporation​

Company Address:
24 DaVinci Drive
Bohemia, New York 11716

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 405
Bohemia, New York 11716-0405

Phone Numbers:
Toll Free: 800.253.LUBE (5823)
Phone: 631.567.5300
Fax: 631.567.5359

Contact these folks. I am willing to bet they can either provide u with an equivant lube or at the very least point you to someone who can. They can maybe offer you something in a smaller amount than a gallon. Likely a quart size offering. They sell lubes for all types of industrial equipment to marine applications and even grease/lubes required in food industry equipment.

SYNCO Chemical Corporation​

Company Address:
24 DaVinci Drive
Bohemia, New York 11716

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 405
Bohemia, New York 11716-0405

Phone Numbers:
Toll Free: 800.253.LUBE (5823)
Phone: 631.567.5300
Fax: 631.567.5359
Thank you! I’ll call them Monday.

If you nail it down to something else that is usable, McMaster-Carr probably carries it.

On McMaster-Carr check out item no 2284K781

I'm not sure if this is usable for your application.

Last edited:
No luck on finding that particular oil. Superlube recommend I go with their 54100 after I told him the application. It is easy to find.

As long as something is safe for bronze I’d just use that. It’s such a small amount I’d think you are just keeping things damp with the oil.

Back