Winchester LSWCHP +P 158 Grain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that this is for a 38 Special and LSWCHP stands for lead semi wad cutter hollow point? If my guess is right it should be a decent round for the price point. I think they run about $35 for a 50 round box.

That is a nice weight for winter use when you might need to punch thru heavy winter/leather clothing. Not a bad choice. If you wanted to upgrade to a higher performance bullet (with a higher price tag) you might want to look at Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain Flex tip +P. A bit less recoil but still has good penetration and controlled expansion.

Those loads have a great rep. It is the old FBI load. People favor the Remington version because it is supposed to be just the right softness of lead to ensure expansion from snubbies but they are all highly regarded.
I use them in my j frame

I would suggest either the Corbon DPX 110 gr + P or the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr + P, the latter is specifically designed for maximum expansion and penetration from short barrels and both rounds pass the FBI penetration test protocol.

At work at the moment, so I can't go there--but Stephan Camp did expansion tests on some 38spl loads. Something like highpower.com or similar. IIRC the Win would expand in a snub, but the Federal 158grn +P needed more like 3-4 inches, as it was a harder bullet.

Originally Posted By: supton
At work at the moment, so I can't go there--but Stephan Camp did expansion tests on some 38spl loads. Something like highpower.com or similar. IIRC the Win would expand in a snub, but the Federal 158grn +P needed more like 3-4 inches, as it was a harder bullet.

I did that test from a 2 inch 38. Colt and a Smith
I was only able to get 2 loads to expand and that LSWCHP 158 Grain was one
The other was the hydrashock

Last edited:
This Winchester load is a particular favorite of mine and my load of choice when I'm packing my Colt. As others have mentioned, it has an established track record and has been recommended by a few gunwriters.

Seems fairly scarce in the gun shops lately though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back