Will new Land Rover Defender hold its value?

And Lexus service is everything a luxury dealership should be.

I suspect that you just admitted to being raped over and over again.

I would not pretend that is intelligent behavior, but if you think it is, you are decidedly ignorant for not knowing the differences in letting someone else do what any owner would take more care doing themselves.

Why are you even here? Your whole agenda seems to be flaunting that you have lots of money but don't have any comprehension of anything relative to automobiles.

Anyone can just pay someone else to do their thinking for them. That's quite the opposite of the purpose of this forum so in a sneaky, not so subtle way you are just a troll and an ignorant one at that. Please try harder, it is truly a waste of your time to want to participate but not bother to learn *** you're talking about when it comes to vehicle issues.

"Pay a premium" to a lexus dealership, shows your true colors that you have NO IDEA ***. It is intelligent to specialize in one trade and pay someone else to do what they are good at in a different trade, but then you do NOT pretend that you are knowledable in that trade based on paying someone else to do it. That is madness, backwards, nonsense.

No, you can't pay someone else to do your work for you and then pretend that you suddenly gained that knowledge or skill. It's quite the opposite.

Last edited:

I would not pretend that is intelligent behavior, but if you think it is, you are decidedly ignorant for not knowing the differences in letting someone else do what any owner would take more care doing themselves.

Why are you even here? Your whole agenda seems to be flaunting that you have lots of money but don't have any comprehension of anything relative to automobiles.

Anyone can just pay someone else to do their thinking for them. That's quite the opposite of the purpose of this forum so in a sneaky, not so subtle way you are just a troll and an ignorant one at that. Please try harder, it is truly a waste of your time to want to participate but not bother to learn *** you're talking about when it comes to vehicle issues.

"Pay a premium" to a lexus dealership, shows your true colors that you have NO IDEA ***. It is intelligent to specialize in one trade and pay someone else to do what they are good at in a different trade, but then you do NOT pretend that you are knowledable in that trade based on paying someone else to do it. That is madness, backwards, nonsense.

No, you can't pay someone else to do your work for you and then pretend that you suddenly gained that knowledge or skill. It's quite the opposite.
Our used GS was under CPO. It came with 2 years service and warranty. The RX came with 4 free services. Otherwise I do everything.
I have a motto: He who dies with the most tools wins.
Regarding money, I am a recovering Alcoholic; I was broke and homeless. I had 1 pair of ripped jeans and 2 ugly t-shirts.
I walked the streets many nights with no where to go... Most of my friends were in prison or dead.
Through AA, CA education and Silicon Valley opportunity, things have changed.
I worked 50 hours a week and went to school 4 nights for over 10 years to get my 1st degree. Worked grave shift for many years.
Trust me, I know the other side of life. It took many years to recover and scratch out a life.
Hey - aren't Land Rovers more expensive than Lexus?

I cant see any mainstream, meaning non-truly exotic or very niche, vehicle being collectible in the not too distant future. While modern, tech laden vehicles are generally very day to day reliable including the latest Land Rover products, I just don't see these vehicles being easy or practical to keep in the ~30 year timeframe. I can easily get points, coils, etc. for my old cars now at reasonable prices, but I just cant see trying to diagnose or try to find some of the modules for my '17 Range Rover in 30 years... Will I even be able to find diesel fuel for it??

That said, I can see the new Defender being akin to Wranglers and probably the new Bronco in the resale market. The new Defender is a great vehicle, drives well and is pretty capable off road, at least in my limited experience in one. I wish it were simpler like its predecessor, but that is just not a reality in today's market. I will be looking at the 110 model next year to replace my current DD.

Oh, modern Land Rover products are fine, I've had 3 since 2012. While earlier vehicles, say pre 2008 or so, earned their reputation as being needy the recent ones are fine. Our RR's have given less problems than our GM and especially Jeep SUV's.

:rolleyes:

I don’t know if they will hold their value, but that ain’t no Defender to me...
Give me the Classic!

98FF4B2F-B72C-43EB-BE6C-74C77ABB2CB1.jpeg

Id expect it will depreciate like a used hand grenade after the warranty expires.

The Fast lane truck/ car guys had a check engine light at 200 miles.

Ive been treated quite well by my lexus dealer, paying at or near indy shop prices and getting things like a new dash at 11 years put in no charge - No one else ever did squat for me out of warranty.

Probably more my service writer of 15 years than lexus, but that actually says something as well.

I was very excited when Land Rover announced the release of this latest gen. Interior looks great, exterior styling is fantastic.

Then I learned of the drivetrain options and all the tech garbage they throw into them. Base price of $48K with a Chinese built Jaguar designed 4 cylinder. No thanks. The straight 6 is no better, it adds a super charger and 48V "hybrid" type system. Have fun troubleshooting that on the trail.

These are not not designed for LR enthusiasts and I have a feeling most will never leave the pavement.

At least the new Bronco looks decent and seems to deliver packages that can take you off road. Granted, it does have a decent amount of tech, but not overly complicated like the LR from what I've read.

Anyways, maybe lease it if you have to have it to see how it does over 3 years.

Last edited:
I'm shocked that TFL is having so many issues with the new defender. Maybe they got a lemon. They are a really cool bunch, as I interviewed for an internship with them.

About the only luxury SUV that somewhat decent and has lower depreciation would be a Mercedes G wagon. Even models that are about 20 years old are still going for around 30k. Meanwhile most other 20 year old Mercedes are probably in the 5k range or less.

VW Touareg's hold their value well also...a luxury SUV from a non-luxury badge. Not common at all, maybe that contributes to it.

Most luxury vehicles with all the tech and plastic they're using under the hood today guarentees you that almost all will become major money pits starting around year seven or eight. The only exception is probably Lexus at the moment.

About the only luxury SUV that somewhat decent and has lower depreciation would be a Mercedes G wagon. Even models that are about 20 years old are still going for around 30k. Meanwhile most other 20 year old Mercedes are probably in the 5k range or less.
That’s more because it’s cool than anything else, the G before 2018 did a terrible job at being a luxury suv. The hilariously stiff coils and terrible ergonomics really made you remember its origins as a utility crapbox.

The Lexus LX/TLC 100 still have decent resale value relative to msrp, the most clapped out examples rarely sell for under 6k and good ones are in the 20s, mainly because they do everything that’s asked of them and are easy to live with.

Last edited:
That’s more because it’s cool than anything else, the G before 2018 did a terrible job at being a luxury suv. The hilariously stiff coils and terrible ergonomics really made you remember its origins as a utility crapbox.

The Lexus LX/TLC 100 still have decent resale value relative to msrp, the most clapped out examples rarely sell for under 6k and good ones are in the 20s, mainly because they do everything that’s asked of them and are easy to live with.
Well I never said it was any good, just that it held its value. I think it's up even higher now due to the scarcity of used cars. I seem to recall seeing a bunch in the 20k range at one point, but those seem to be all gone. It might be a car that you can buy that's 5 years old, drive it for 10 years and then when you sell it, you still get a decent percentage of the purchase price back.

Our used GS was under CPO. It came with 2 years service and warranty. The RX came with 4 free services. Otherwise I do everything.
I have a motto: He who dies with the most tools wins.
Regarding money, I am a recovering Alcoholic; I was broke and homeless. I had 1 pair of ripped jeans and 2 ugly t-shirts.
I walked the streets many nights with no where to go... Most of my friends were in prison or dead.
Through AA, CA education and Silicon Valley opportunity, things have changed.
I worked 50 hours a week and went to school 4 nights for over 10 years to get my 1st degree. Worked grave shift for many years.
Trust me, I know the other side of life. It took many years to recover and scratch out a life.
Hey - aren't Land Rovers more expensive than Lexus?

Good for you Jeff.
Ignore the nonsense. Somebody clueless here wants to feel good about their mundane existence.
Keep up the great work.

You already hit the nail on the head with this statement. Resale value will plummet after a few years, like most all the other import luxury makes. There is nothing even remotely similar between this Defender and the old ones, other than the name.

I think it would have logically been a new Discovery. Looks like a Discovery to me aswell

Back