Will doing this cleanup delete my remembered usernames and passwords?

cc.jpg

On many online sites, my username and password are automatically remembered so I don't have to type them in every time I visit the site. Will deleting the above cookies, history or files erase all that information?

Good question. I believe deleting the cookies may affect your saved log in information, but I'd wait for a better answer from someone more knowledgeable. Deleting the Temporary Internet Files is harmless - I do it all the time. Not sure about the Browsing History.

If you use the "Custom Clean" option, you can select what is deleted. And when cleaning the Registry, be sure to back it up first. It prompts you to do so.

Clearing cookies does get rid of login information unless a site has been whitelisted.

It's been a long time since I used CCleaner, and I don't remember the line that says "Keep me logged in on some websites." Clicking that link might give you a more user-friendly way to keep some cookies compared to managing exceptions through your browser.

Deleting the cookies will remove your remembered usernames and passwords.
Even with the built in password manager?

The old way they remembered passwords, sure, get that, but I thought the newer managers would be safe from these cleanings.

I use Bitwarden, not a built in, so I don't have personal experience.

Even with the built in password manager?

The old way they remembered passwords, sure, get that, but I thought the newer managers would be safe from these cleanings.

I use Bitwarden, not a built in, so I don't have personal experience.

Yep unless the username/pw is saved to a specific cloud account. So in your case (and mine), deleting the cookies will just make the website "forget" our login info but BitWarden can still autofill the username and password.

Yep unless the username/pw is saved to a specific cloud account. So in your case (and mine), deleting the cookies will just make the website "forget" our login info but BitWarden can still autofill the username and password.
Such a volatile way to store passwords.

I get annoyed when I have to clear cookies and I type "mc" and it doesn't auto fill McMaster.com lol

If the password was truly compromised, you'll need to change it. Removing it from cookies / password manager doesn't change that someone else has it.

Backup that information before running the cleaner. You should be backing up that information anyway.
👎🏻

There is zero reason to back that stuff up. If you want to have login details remembered, use a password manager.

👎🏻

There is zero reason to back that stuff up. If you want to have login details remembered, use a password manager.
... And do what you can to ensure and confirm that the password manager's database file(s) can be backed up; or at least exported to some non-proprietary format, then encrypted and backed up manually.

Deleting the cookies will remove your remembered usernames and passwords.
No, it doesn't. I use that every single day without fail. On the main page under options, then cookies, then cookies to keep, you list those you don't want removed.

No, it doesn't. I use that every single day without fail. On the main page under options, then cookies, then cookies to keep, you list those you don't want removed.

Well of course it's not going to remove cookies that you opt to save.

People store their plain text usernames and passwords on a computer without using a password manager?
Sure do.... or on post-it notes or in a notebook they keep next to their computer (not me - for any of those).

Back