Will 5w30 dino go for 12k miles/ 5 months without oil change in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think the 5 months would do so much harm as the 12K miles on dino, esp in canadian winters.

Maybe you'll have at least one nice day when you can change it
wink.gif

I wouldn't go 12K on dino but then again I wouldn't go 12K on synthetic either. If you are going to go 12K you are better off with synthetic.

I would say NO...if you can't change it add some Valvoline syntech oil additive or Powerservice oil additive. You really need to go synthetic if your going 12grand in the Winter...wow, that's alot of miles in 5 months with lots of moisture in the air and cold..cold...Candian Winters.

Mobil-1 EP with LC (Lube Control) might be your ticket. LC really extends oil life in normal, non-sludged engines. If your engine is in good condition with no contamination from fuel, anti-freeze, dirt from clogged air filters or bad PCV, you should be able to go beyond 12K.

Don't we have a good 10,000 mile report with havoline 10w-30 with LC? You could probably do it with a 5w-30. Try it and get back to us.

Isaac

12k miles on a dino...never (unless the engine was super light on oils like the honda civic which recommends 10k OCI)

I'd use a synthetic (quality synthetic!) and go for 12k..

I guess it is too late but I would have changed your last dino run and changed the dino around novemberish right before the cold hit.

I would not push dino oil that far under those conditions. I believe for your peace of mind...switch to syn now and not worry until the snow melts.

This is a funny thread.

Mobil recommends 5,000 miles for Mobil Clean 5000. Unless your engine has a problem this oil can surely do 5,000mi, even in the winter (one winter, that is).

The most audacious OCI I have seen for dino is 10,000 under 'normal' conditions. (Not that I've seen them all.) If you are driving long trips in the winter it might qualify as 'normal'...

I know what a pain it is to work on the car in the freezing cold. If you choose to leave it in for 12,000 miles this winter many here would like to see a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back