Will 10w30 make much difference vs. 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking into the Schaeffer 7000 product line and there is a local dealer by me that sells it for a good price. The only thing is I want the 5w30 and he says he only carries 10w30 for the 7000 line.

Is there really much difference, the car is an 05' Corolla w/90K miles which calls for 5w30 in all climates. The car is mostly in Phoenix, AZ but on the weekends goes up to Payson, AZ which gets in the 20's in the winter time.

I really think I'm probably overthinking this but just want to be sure the 10w30 will be a good choice year round.

BTW, Here are some stats on the oils.

5w30 10w30-Viscosity 40C_47-52, 62-72

100C_10-12 10-12
Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the Corolla, but I know some other car owners tend to run a 10w30 in summer months or high temp areas for better engine protection. As for the Corolla I am note 100% if its good. Waiting on the others and you get a free bump!

There is really no big difference between 5W-30 and 10W-30 if you don't need the cold flow properties of a 5W oil for very cold weather. 10W-30 will be fine in AZ. And less VII's should make it a little more shear stable in the hot weather.

I think your ok because your in az but if its cold one morning it will just start a little rougher and not pump the oil as well till it heats up.

Originally Posted By: ryland
I think your ok because your in az but if its cold one morning it will just start a little rougher and not pump the oil as well till it heats up.

I can understand that, I bet it will be ok though. Not sure if it makes a difference but the pour point is -48 for the 5w30 and -44 for the 10w30.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

10W-30 will work great in your Corolla. Many good reports and comments about the Schaeffer 7000 series oils.

Thanks. That's why I wanted to use the Schaeffer's, heard good things about it and the UOA's look good. I will be running this oil for 7500 mile OCI's in both Corollas(00' and 05', both 1ZZFE). I can get it for 60.00/case, which seems reasonable to me. The other rep in my area wanted 75.00/case.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
You will have zero problems.

That Corolla will last 400-500K miles with just basic maintenance.

That's the goal! Neither one has given any real problems. The 2000 has 150K and still runs great, no major repairs and the 2005 has about 90K, nothing but tires and brake pads at 75K (knock on wood).

I just want to use a quality oil and change the oil less often. I'm in school now but once my girlfriend gets her nursing degree I told her we should keep the 2000 and I'll drive it(she wants a Scion TC).

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back