Wifi garage door opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

Any of our members, add a wifi Garage door opener that works with your cell phone?

I got the idea from this youtube video. My garage door is a Craftsman from 2002/03.

Sonoff wiring link

Sonoff costs a bit more on Amazon.ca (2 pack was $20). In the US, you can get this device for $5 or cheaper.

I used the eWeLink app to control it. Added the app to my Wife and Son's phone, so now we can all control the garage door via phone. I did the same mod as shown in the video.

I'm surprised how cheap and easy it was to do this. Took less than 2 hours (not in a rush to do this). Worked first time. Wires were longer then after I knew it worked and I figured out where to mount it, I cut the wires to make it look cleaner.

Last edited:
Thanks QP for the reminder, I did see that post. I had to look around a bit for details on Youtube as to what options are out there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pics of the install

The one I have that is part of Samsung SmartThings has a sensor on door to know its position and a delay and blinking light during the close so someone in the garage will know whats happening.

I'm interested in this! My two garage doors have 1980s(?) chain drive openers. Both work perfect. But both remotes no longer work... only the manual buttons inside the garage.

The units have no sensors, no safety features, they just work. And I'm good with that. But being able to open them remotely would be a nice feature to have back....

Does anyone know if these WiFi units work without sensors?

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I'm interested in this! My two garage doors have 1980s(?) chain drive openers. Both work perfect. But both remotes no longer work... only the manual buttons inside the garage.

The units have no sensors, no safety features, they just work. And I'm good with that. But being able to open them remotely would be a nice feature to have back....

Short of somebody doing an experiment, the easiest way is to call or email the company directly (Sonoff).

I've had the MyQ garage door opener for almost a year. Works 99% of the time maybe 3-5 times it had a problem and had to go around. That's better than average for Wifi anything I think. It basically is a remote that is controlled by your phone. If your garage door opener uses a remote My Q should work.

I've got a Chamberlain with the WiFi stuff built in.

Yes, my garage door opener's name is Gary. It gives customizable notifications too.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JHZR2

I don't think you need the sensors for it to work.all it's doing is sending a signal to the garage door opener.

You do need to alter the wiring shown in the video I posted. The sonoff is only $5 and if it doesn't work for your garage door you can use it for something else. (You'd have to undo the wiring back to the original setup.

I have a second sonoff maybe I'll use it to remotely power on my DeWalt battery charger in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back