WiFi doesn’t work, but router does

I’m not a tech person so don’t laugh.

Lately our WiFi for mobile devices hasn’t been working or is very very slow, but we know the Internet works because we can watch our video streaming services (I’m assuming) since the TV is plugged directly into the router. This comes and goes.

What can cause this?

How old is the router? Do you reboot it periodically? I would unplug it for a minute and then plug it back in and see if that works.

I'm guessing the firmware (software for the router) has never need updated.

Are you sure you didn't tell the phone to ignore that wifi network?

Dont even think about it just upgrade.
Also if you have a big house or dead spots there might be better options.

This recommendation list isnt exhaustive:
budget 70-80
or

Mainstream- bigger budget 130-170

Enthusiast

Disclaimer: plenty of good options out there I didnt list.

How old is the router? Do you reboot it periodically? I would unplug it for a minute and then plug it back in and see if that works.

I'm guessing the firmware (software for the router) has never need updated.

Are you sure you didn't tell the phone to ignore that wifi network?
The router is 3 years old. I restarted it when we noticed the issue.

Firmware may be the culprit. I haven’t done that in a while.

Reactions: JC1
Dont even think about it just upgrade.
Also if you have a big house or dead spots there might be better options.

This recommendation list isnt exhaustive:
budget 70-80
or

Mainstream- bigger budget 130-170

Enthusiast

Disclaimer: plenty of good options out there I didnt list.
We have plenty of dead spots throughout the house. Thanks. I’ll look into these.

If you have dead spots you might want to get a mesh setup.

They go from ~150 to 500$ depending on performance required. and brand.
ie tp-link has very attractive value..
look for tri-band if you are setting up with wireless backhaul (no ethernet cables to the other units)
Some are the basestation router and 1 satellite and other have 2 satellites
example here:

Reactions: JC1
The wifi radios can go bad, where they trasmit lower power, or cut in and out. You can monitor signal strength with an app like wifi analyzer.

If your wi-fi used to work fine but now is having issues I doubt it's a firmware problem - it's only 3 years old. It's possible as mentioned that the radios have failed.

Maybe download a wi-fi analyzer app for one of your phones and use it to see if the router wi-fi is detected and how strong the signal is. Also perhaps your router is using a wi-fi channel that's getting interference from other neighbors' routers or another electronic device. It's also worth noting which frequency (2.4 or 5 ghz) is in use. 5 ghz will have higher throughput (faster) but with decreased range and ability to pass through obstacles like walls.

If it's just poor signal in certain locations in the house, that may need some type of hardware upgrade. For the record I bought a refurbed Tp-link "Deco" 3 unit mesh system and have been happy with it.

Reboot, firmware and then if nothing buy a new one unless you have lots of time and interest in troubleshooting. Some as silly as a neighbors smart tv polling on your Wifi trying to connect can cause this. It’s just hard to narrow and lots of time .

I updated the WiFi router and everything seems good.

I actually have 2 routers. 1 that the Internet goes into and distributes it around the house and another one in the living room that is strictly used for WiFi signal. Long story, but a previous Internet provider told me my router was bad. It wasn’t and is now the living room router. That one is 3 years old. The main one is 2 years old.

Anyways, the main router does not emit a WiFi signal anymore and when I go into the net gear app, it won’t give me the option to update, which I guess is a different issue entirely.

I had the same thing happen a few years back. I assumed it was the router and purchased a new one but the problem wifi persisted. If plugged into old or new router all worked perfectly but zero wifi. I called the cable folks and it was my modem that was the culprit! I know, makes no sense but the cable company loaned me a modem, and all worked perfectly.
A new modem was ordered and cured all ills. Just saying check both out before buying a new anything. Asus routers have worked very well for me if you do upgrade.

Last edited:
Back