WIfi 6 System

Question for the network gurus. (I didn't want the jack the other thread)

I'm looking to upgrade to a WiFi6 mesh router. As I understand the mesh systems, a wired backhaul is ideal with a limited number of hops.

My issue - I'm currently using an old MOCA router as an access point in part of the house. (No ethernet in this area, only old coax)

Can I connect the secondary mesh device (via ethernet) to the remote MOCA router and use that as the backhaul? Or will this extra hop significantly degrade performance?

Hopefully this makes sense. Bascially I want to turn the remote MOCA router into an ethernet connection for the secondary mesh router. (I'm sure my terms are all jacked up.)

basically you are using the moca as a bridge not a router.
you are subbing the coax with moca adapters instead of an ethernet run.
should work fine.

Although if you have a central source for main router/internet source.. and 2 mesh router points at ends of house with only 1 wifi hop.. might work faster than MOCA

Now if you have internet source at one end of house.. then yes a double hop of wifi on the mesh points is far from ideal..

IF you get a tri-band setup the wifi backhaul works MUCH better than a dual band.

yes - you are correct.

the internet source and moca bridge are at opposite ends of the house.

yes - you are correct.

the internet source and moca bridge are at opposite ends of the house.
What speed is the moca adapter rated at? Wired is usually better but a newer tri band mesh system is pretty amazing..

I'm sorry I never responded - I missed this.

It's an old Actiontec Verizon router that I'm using as an access point. So it's listed as 1G on the ethernet ports.

The docs say Moca 1.1 standard. (Which I don't know anything about.)

Yes, log into the MoCA router and switch it to bridge mode (turn off NAT, network address translation, and disable DHCP server), then use ethernet ports on the router and the adapter like it is a bridge. If you already have this setup I think it would be better than most mesh in latency, and 175mbps should be fast enough for most users unless you have some serious internet need and paid for a much faster plan, then I know MIMO based powerline ethernet can go in theory 2Gbps and in practice for me 500mbps.

Back