Wife thinks next vehicle should be an EV.

But...but...but...it is a Prius.

When looking for a hybrid to replace the electric EV6 we had, the Prius was ruled out quickly by my wife as she refused to drive one. It also wasn't big enough. We ended up with a 2024 Sportage hybrid...230hp, AWD, and I have been averaging a real ~40 mpg going to work and back...about half city, and half interstate, 23-25 minutes.
Great! I'm glad you found what works best for you. But personally I have more trust in a Toyota than anything 2010+ from Hyundia. Especially with never ending news of blown engines, and EV/Hybrid battery replacements that are priced higher than the vehicle it's in... Hopefully nothing like this ever happens to any fellow BITOGer.

Let me start by saying I like hybrids. I would happily drive a Prius. BUT not all driving environments favor a hybrid over a BEV. We do many many short trips. Many times in the bitter cold in winter. The hybrid is really a bad solution for this. The gas engine never warms up and constantly runs in a rich inefficient manner. As with anything it's highly dependent on use case.
Yes! I see there is light snow in some areas Minnesota today! :unsure:

We are a 1 ICE, 1 EV household. I work from home and my wife commutes to work about 10 miles away. Having one of each is working well and in the future when the vehicles+infrastructure have matured more, both of us will have EV's as daily drivers and ICE for a third car. EV's frankly are much better at daily duty than ICE. My Q5 usually gets driven only once a week to keep things lubricated, and it's main utility at this point is for longer trips or when we both separately need a car at the same time.

1. Acceleration and power/torque delivery are significantly better than ICE or hybrid for around town driving
2. Not having to fill gas outside in winter
3. Pre-conditioning cabin without fuel waste and fuel dilution
4. Overall fuel savings
5. Maintenance savings and general lack of maintenance required
What happened to the cng option vehicles? I know Honda offered a Civic with a cng option as well as a few other manufacturers. I know that cng is still on the table for several semi truck manufacturers.

Great! I'm glad you found what works best for you. But personally I have more trust in a Toyota than anything 2010+ from Hyundia. Especially with never ending news of blown engines, and EV/Hybrid battery replacements that are priced higher than the vehicle it's in... Hopefully nothing like this ever happens to any fellow BITOGer.

10 yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty covers the engine and battery, and pretty much everything in the powertrain. We pay cash for our cars, and never keep them past warranty...not a concern. Plus the 2024 Sportage has the new 1.6L engine just released a few years ago, so I'm guessing they have a lot of those problems solved.

Edited to say I do usually keep my trucks past warranty, and my toys don't count ;-) Ok, ok, it is just my wife's car we don't keep past warranty. She gets bored with what she is driving, and makes the majority of the money for our family, so who am I to complain.

If you think EV charging infrastructure is an issue, CNG is next level terrible.
It seemed like it would take off as a number of gas stations around me had it. Mainly on the I-25 corridor, but I noticed some of those no longer sell cng.

I think the new Prius is a much better option.
- Quite peppy, compared to all previous generations.
- 196 horsepower, 57MPG, and AWD is available.
- Looks great, at least in my opinion.
- Toyota reliability.
- A 5 minute fuel fill up beats the chargers.
- And it's priced well compared to EVs, while keeping its resale value, unlike the EVs.
View attachment 214968

A couple things worth noting: most EVs seem to suffer from AC not being strong enough in hot summers, and lose a lot of range in winter due to cold, while providing "eh" level of warmth for the occupants. This does not seem to be an issue in a Prius though...
My Tesla freezes me out, but I haven't driven many other EVs. If anything I wish it had a bit more nuance in its climate control between temperature settings. 68 to 70 is a drastic change. That said it really depends on what you need from a vehicle. I don't think a Prius would save me a dime in the winter with 2 mile short trips. I'd just be dumping gasoline into the oil sump and not burning it off. This is how my wife uses the vehicle so we elected to go EV for her purposes.

I'd probably still go EV for mine if I was buying now, but there's nothing definitive right now that makes me want to part with money. It's hard for me to want to make a change when I have a comfortable car that makes 300hp, gets 35mpg, and is geniunely fun to drive. If all I needed to do was get A to B with my current needs and wasn't concerned about the fun aspect so much the Prius is a very attractive option.

Nah, not for what they cost nowadays. Different story 10 years ago. Even if you pay out of pocket for electricity, it’s about the same as driving most hybrids.
If a hybrid gets 70mpg it's still twice as expensive as charging our EV with our rates. I don't know of any hybrids consistently doing that either. I could drive an F150 Lightning for less per mile than my 35mpg VW even though that truck weighs 7k lbs.

It seemed like it would take off as a number of gas stations around me had it. Mainly on the I-25 corridor, but I noticed some of those no longer sell cng.
I stand by my previous statement. These and certain PGE hubs are the only stations that I am aware of.

IMG_8553.jpg

EV has far better infrastructure at this point.

But this gets back to my original (and usual) point - an EV wouldn’t be my only car and one should only own if they have L2 infrastructure at home. Therefore, the need to charge outside of your house should be rare.

I stand by my previous statement. These and certain PGE hubs are the only stations that I am aware of.

View attachment 215003

EV has far better infrastructure at this point.

But this gets back to my original (and usual) point - an EV wouldn’t be my only car and one should only own if they have L2 infrastructure at home. Therefore, the need to charge outside of your house should be rare.
That's what we've got. Keep in mind it cost me $1850 for my electrical upgrade, but now we'll always have that setup no matter what vehicles we own. I'm not avoiding going fully EV, but having a new car and a 6 year old car that looks, feels, and drives like new doesn't inspire me to go out and buy right now anyway. The amount of car I got for $30k a few years back would now cost me $40k for the same model and trim new. It's not that the price went up considerably, it's that the discounts no longer exist.

If all I needed to do was get A to B with my current needs and wasn't concerned about the fun aspect so much the Prius is a very attractive option.
A Prius can be fun ☺️. Not quite as fun as your daily, but still fun all things considered. This statement does not apply to previous generations of Prius though.

A Prius can be fun ☺️. Not quite as fun as your daily, but still fun all things considered. This statement does not apply to previous generations of Prius though.

Oh I definitely agree. I just wouldn't be replacing my current daily for one. It does tick a lot of boxes for how I use my vehicle though outside of the serious hooligan stuff while getting better fuel economy. It doesn't hurt that they made it one of the better looking cars on the road today.

RE: Prius, I should have said no "car" not no sedan, haven't owned a car in 20+ years. I'd rather buy used at this point in our life but used E vehicles make me nervous although the big depreciation hit helps I guess. Maybe something that can have a factory extended warranty added. A PHEV seems to make the most sense and the least disrupting to how one is used to things. I have 40 amp/240V in the garage now so that's not an issue. If someone said you have to buy an EV today it would probably be a Wrangler 4XE. I hear much cringing out there.

RE: Prius, I should have said no "car" not no sedan, haven't owned a car in 20+ years. I'd rather buy used at this point in our life but used E vehicles make me nervous although the big depreciation hit helps I guess. Maybe something that can have a factory extended warranty added. A PHEV seems to make the most sense and the least disrupting to how one is used to things. I have 40 amp/240V in the garage now so that's not an issue. If someone said you have to buy an EV today it would probably be a Wrangler 4XE. I hear much cringing out there.
There are a few battery repair/reconditioning companies out there. I wonder if you had an original Fiat 500e with the 88 mile range couldn't a company put in a denser lighter battery pack? Like putting in a more powerful V-8?

There are a few battery repair/reconditioning companies out there. I wonder if you had an original Fiat 500e with the 88 mile range couldn't a company put in a denser lighter battery pack? Like putting in a more powerful V-8?
Doesn’t exactly work that way.

Back