Why You Should Do Your Own OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you mean oil change, not oil change interval (OCI).

But yeah, I do like to DYI, just because then I know it's done right.

With that said, you will always have some amount of old oil remaining in the engine. I wouldn't stress too much over it.

Were there other things he did wrong, or was it mainly that there's so much dirty oil still in there?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I guess you mean do it yourself (DIY), not do yourself in (DYI).
wink.gif
Just pokin' a little fun.

Although, with some of us, DIY and DYI are sometimes one and the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Another reason to do your own OCI, IMO. Take note how much oil is still flowing when the tech re-installs the drain plug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...jbo8JVjfpzAYrBU

Not enough to make any measureable difference. He did fine.
Would hate to have a job like these techs - usually having to do this on cars where everything is still very hot (unlike us diy'ers who have luxury to let things cool down a little).

Video production quality is terrible - dizzy and a headache now; thanks for linking
smirk.gif

Time is $$ ... Ahhh the dealer 85% oil change ! ...I wouldn't expect to see the tech go top side after the initial drain and pour a small amount of starburst certified oil (of any type) in to flush the oil pan a bit and then let it continue to drain until just an occasional drip occurs from the drain plug while I go inside for 20 minutes to sit under a ceiling fan. Over kill to many but not for me - an oil change is not a task - it's a ritual to me ... That's why I'm a BITOG member
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

wink.gif

Although, with some of us, DIY and DYI are sometimes one and the same.

Which is precisely why I don't work on cars. I'm too scatter-brained.
Heck, if I make it out the door in the morning and I'm wearing pants, it's a good day.

Last edited:

Every time I see the initialism OCI mistakenly used as an action one performs, I just tell myself, "they must mean Oil Change Implementation".

Ex: "I did an OCI today and it feels good to get clean oil in the engine."

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Time is $$ ... Ahhh the dealer 85% oil change ! ...I wouldn't expect to see the tech go top side after the initial drain and pour a small amount of starburst certified oil (of any type) in to flush the oil pan a bit and then let it continue to drain until just an occasional drip occurs from the drain plug while I go inside for 20 minutes to sit under a ceiling fan. Over kill to many but not for me - an oil change is not a task - it's a ritual to me ... That's why I'm a BITOG member
smile.gif

I thought I was the only one to do that. I never admit it in public, though.
I have only had someone else change the oil twice, in the last 45 years......First, dealer gave free lifetime oil changes......Initial change, car came home with an extra quart in it. Never went back.

Second one, while on a road trip, I watched the tech blow the dust out of the funnel before he plopped it into the fill hole. I cringed. Never again.

I think thats outrageous.

Last time I changed mine, I decided to bring my floor jack out and lift one side of the car after it stopped draining.

I was surprised how much more oil poured out with the car tilted towards the drain plug.

I will do this each time from now on...

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

wink.gif
Just pokin' a little fun.

Ha! Serves me right for nitpicking.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Lots of jokesters on this thread.
smile.gif

Yep. And the point was to see how much oil the tech left in the pan. Ah well, we must have some humor.
crackmeup2.gif

Several observations, in addition to the inadequate drain:

Why wouldn't you remove the filter while the drain plug is still out? Usually when I remove the filter, EVEN MORE used oil comes out the drain.

How hard is it going to be, for someone on ramps in their driveway, to remove this "skid plate" and reach up to that filter? I hope it could be accessed from above.

I hate designs where you take off the filter and dirty oil flows all over stuff in the engine, other pipes and hoses... ensuring that you'll drip oil for the next several days. I had a Lincoln Mark VIII that was so bad, I had to dent the can to get it in there.

For what it's worth (perhaps not much) I have some original oil change instructions from the Ford Model T. In it says to drain the oil, then plug it, put some amount of kerosene in the engine, turn it over several times without letting it start, then drain again, to ensure that all the old oil is out. ;-)

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Another reason to do your own OCI, IMO. Take note how much oil is still flowing when the tech re-installs the drain plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...jbo8JVjfpzAYrBU

Agree with your point completely.
I want as much of the old oil out as will drip out.
OTOH, how many cars have gone 200K+ on exactly the type of oil changes depicted in the video?
Most of us here do better because we want to.
Whether most of our engines really benefit from this is another matter.
The DIY guy has the time to do a better job.
A shop trying to cover expenses on a <$20.00 oil change doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back