Why use Redline and Redline Clone oils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by burla
Not capable of getting approvals and not wanting to spend money on it are two different things, but I'm sure a smart guy like you knows this.

That comes back to Phillips 66 owning Redline though. If they wished to pursue approvals it isn't like they lack the financial means of obtaining them. They produce a myriad of approved oils under their other labels.

I absolutely know no such thing. Just curious, do you also think m1 would get the approval for the 5.7 hemi? Or maybe they just know for a fact they would and didn't bother with it? Why companies say recommended for whatever spec but don't spend the money. Redline's website is full of "recommended" for spec x,y, and z because they read the spec and knew their oils met the parameters.

I absolutely know no such thing. Just curious, do you also think m1 would get the approval for the 5.7 hemi? Or maybe they just know for a fact they would and didn't bother with it? Why companies say recommended for whatever spec but don't spend the money. Redline's website is full of "recommended" for spec x,y, and z because they read the spec and knew their oils met the parameters.

We know why Mobil doesn't put Chrysler approvals on any of their Mobil 1 products and that has to do with the sour deal that FIAT pulled on them when their FF and SF contracts were yanked and replaced with SOPUS.

Mobil doesn't even go as far as recommending their products for applications that call for Chrysler approvals.

I'm pretty sure m1 could afford to pay to get the hemi spec as well, but yet they don't or haven't since 2009 to last time I checked. Joined by many other companies who don't pay for the hemi spec, and yet it is one of the most common engines on the market.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by Shannow

I am aware of that, but regardless by the reply's anytime it is mentioned they are dreaded around here, mostly from guys never using it.

dreaded...is that the new PC word for "haters"...used in the same context, along with the "who don't use it" line, so I'm assuming so.

How come all you fanbois (Redline, Amsoil, RP) have to use these labels for people who question dodgy and silly advertising from campanies ?

Do you have THAT much emotional attachment to a PRODUCT that to question the veracity of their advertising is a hate crime ?

BTW, I've driven 100 miles before to buy their 10W40...used it, and wasn't impressed...but that was before I understood HTHS...AND I've got a case of their gear oil in the Garage.

Can't be labelled a hater for calling out dumb advertising...

Although they DO lose credibility with water wetter...and so do the people falling for it.

Yet you and so many others on this site fall for the M1 lame tests and ads that are pathetic and you continue to defend them.... lol hypocrisy much??

^^^^ Winner!!!

I'm pretty sure m1 could afford to pay to get the hemi spec as well, but yet they don't or haven't since 2009 to last time I checked. Joined by many other companies who don't pay for the hemi spec, and yet it is one of the most common engines on the market.

Yes, but as we know, that's purely out of spite. Mobil has the Chrysler approval on their non-Mobil 1 grades. They refuse to obtain it for Mobil 1 due to the FIAT fiasco. They have everybody else's approvals, so FCA is being singled out here.

I'm well aware the case between the two, but certainly they can afford the spec for one of the most popular engines and yet they don't carry it. And it still is the number 2 oil used by hemi owners, because spec hunting is a bunch of who shot John unless there is a reason like trying to avoid lspi. If you are half as smart as I think you are you wouldn't want to go spreading disinformation that a real quality oil like redline wouldn't meet standard basic specs, it would far exceed them.

I'm well aware the case between the two, but certainly they can afford the spec for one of the most popular engines and yet they don't carry it. And it still is the number 2 oil used by hemi owners, because spec hunting is a bunch of who shot John unless there is a reason like trying to avoid lspi. If you are half as smart as I think you are you wouldn't want to go spreading disinformation that a real quality oil like redline wouldn't meet standard basic specs, it would far exceed them.

My position is that the product couldn't be blended the way it is and be approved. It isn't because of the base oil selection but rather the levels of AW additives and the like; it's an "old school" formula that doesn't appear to have changed much, if any, since they were bought out. So it isn't about cost; Phillips 66 is more than capable of ponying up the money for the certs. It's the fact that they know the product, as it is blended, won't pass; can't pass, due to the additive levels. It's basically a street-friendly race formula and blended around AW performance, not meeting API or ACEA targets.

Probably an easier way to explain this: M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 if blended as a 5w-30 wouldn't pass API SN either, because their additive levels are too high. Those limits don't apply to the 40 designation. That's why GC 0w-30 isn't API SN but rather still the ancient API SL spec.

Redline Professional 5w-40 has euro approvals for BMW, MB, VW/Audi Porsche; 5W-30 also

I would not expect them to spend time or effort on certs for what are probably a lower performance specs.

So "they bothered" to go out and get them for some targeted customers

Last edited:
Yes, I posted that about 40 weights and was chastised for it. 0w40's in the low viscosity range aren't really meant to be 0w40's, but 5w30's that can skirt gov't regulation. yes, I agree the additives are too high, but other then low saps or lspi concerns the reason for low additives os because of this gov't, not because it would be harmful for the application. Thus is the reason why someone asked me today what oil to use in a brand new 90k truck I said Amsoil because it is a di turbo. The coefficient of friction goes way down with those high additives as we have seen many times over, but not suitable for a di turbo. So low additive Amsoil is good for that. Redline does make a low saps line, but I wouldn't mess with it as it's a blend instead of their good stuff. I am disapointed they aren't makeing their main line in an lspi formula, it would be pretty easy to do. Some guys would want less friction in their engines, and if not low saps or lspi there are oils out there that cater to those interests. I'm pretty much done, just thought I'd share a video that was shared with me that showed redline's base oil benefits.

Last edited:
Yet you and so many others on this site fall for the M1 lame tests and ads that are pathetic and you continue to defend them.... lol hypocrisy much??

really ?

Me

You haven't read any of the interactions between tig1 and myself, have you before making such statements, have you.

Actually, if you'd been paying attention, I don't defend much, usually question...although edge 5W30 A3/B4 has been one of teh oils that I beleive is one of the best compromises.

Actually, show me where I've "fallen for" and defended a mobil ad ?

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Redline Professional 5w-40 has euro approvals for BMW, MB, VW/Audi Porsche; 5W-30 also

I would not expect them to spend time or effort on certs for what are probably a lower performance specs.

So "they bothered" to go out and get them for some targeted customers

^^^This! Plus it says right on their website that it's a blend of G3 and PAO.

So I'm curious, where is this info found that Redline didn't get the BMW cert because they "required G3 oil"?

They have squeezed everything they can out of group 3 base stocks, spend an hour researching exxon and the changing demands of base stocks. Like it or not, group 4 and 5 oils are the future. Maybe you will like it when it comes to the brand of oil you use instead the dreaded redline corp.

Why doesn't Red Line then use their high end base stocks for their line of approved European lubricants?

As for demand and hate, I have no problem paying 10-20% more for a differential lube. The conventional ones are overpriced here, so the boutiques are affordable. The $20 a litre PCMO price, however, is hard to swallow.

I have no information on that. They do make a euro line with their top base oil here. They just also have a second line up that is a pao/group 3 blend that I know nothing past that about. They did chase oil specs with their lesser line, I do not have info on that but acknowledge that. I would bet emailing Dave from reldine would yield you an honest answer.

Okay, that one's "recommended for" rather than approved. In fairness to Red Line, I'd have little problem using most of their 5w-30 and thicker lineup in most A3/B4 applications. The one you should claiming C3 suitability, I'd like to see the SA on that and the phosphorus before using it as a substitute for true ACEA C3 products.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Their website says they sell the oil at O'reilly's but I went to 2 different stores to see how much it is and none of them had any! They said they have to order it
lol.gif

O'Reilly's generally can get service the next day when ordering from them.

I tend to agree, wetter wetter is a joke, certainly considering the complex coolant formulations of the day. However, whatever issues that are brought up against a forum member or this video, doesn't change the science and effects of pao/ester based fluids and the benefits they provide in all the brands that use them. This guy and his experience who just posted every other oil left his "clunk" but not it's gone is repeated over and over with the use of these fluids. Tossing shade on redline doesn't change that the science behind this formula is a tick killer.

I thought water wetter was for straight water applications, for instance, race applications where you can't use coolant.

Originally Posted by Shannow

really ?

Me

You haven't read any of the interactions between tig1 and myself, have you before making such statements, have you.

Actually, if you'd been paying attention, I don't defend much, usually question...although edge 5W30 A3/B4 has been one of teh oils that I beleive is one of the best compromises.

Actually, show me where I've "fallen for" and defended a mobil ad ?

Hey! How did I get drug into your squabbles? Here I am, pure as new fallen snow and never criticizes anyone's oils or their choice! I just report the facts of my vast experience with one major product, which I will not name at this time.
thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
PAO/Esters, all this BS, yet when they wanted to get approval from Euro manufacturers they cooked some mediocre Group III oil and blamed it on BMW requirements. Interestingly, Motul and Castrol do not have problem cooking BMW LL01 or LL04 (specification that Redline claims BMW is REQUIRING majority Group III base) that is majority PAO and Ester.

At this point it would not surprise me if Redline was 90% group III and less than 10% POE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back