why so much hate on castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another thread a member by the name of buster, is saying castrol edge was a failure? And other member saying the whole line of syntec is a joke.

Besides there marketing, and premium price.

Why do you guys hate on castrol? Explain. I think edge is a great oil. I've used syntec with no problems and I think its as good as PP mobil or any other over counter synthetic at walmart.

No hate. Just overpriced (edge and Syntec) for what it does. value is just not there.

That being said, I would use any of their oils....

I suspect Castrol and Mobil 1 of cheaping out on their standard synthetic 5w30 line.

UOAs of both Castrol Syntec 5w30 and Mobil 1 5w30 were not that great. There are plenty who will dispute what I think and will dispute the significance of UOAs in general but this was a question about our personal opinions right?

As for EDGE, the Dipstick Jimmy ads get a lot of hate. It doesn't bother me though and I don't mind using any products that are on sale. However, there are some I will not pay full price for.

some of the disdain is likely because Castrol was the first company to (in my opinion and the opinion of a few others) deceive the public by labelling Group III oils synthetic. Back in the good ol days when all Mobil 1 was Group IV ( a REAL synthetic - not just highly refined dino oil) Castrol came along and cheated (once again, my opinion) Mobil 1 tried to get some regulating agency to block Castrol - but the decision was that "synthetic" was a marketing term and there was no real definition. by now, there are all kinds of base stocks and things are a different ballgame - but some of us are still scarred by the one that started the mess....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
No hate. Just overpriced (edge and Syntec) for what it does. value is just not there.

+1
I would not pay retail price for Castrol Edge or Syntec if I can get M1, PP or Synpower for $2/qt or a lot less with rebate.

Castrol was the first company to be called out publicly for calling group III base oils "synthetic." The story of how Mobil complained about this to the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau has become lore.

That event was when the whole debate started over "what oils are true/full synthetics." I'm sure you've noticed that it's still going on and still has the power to get people pretty agitated.

Everyone seems to think the NAD complaint was a lawsuit, that Mobil fought Castrol in court, and that from then on all the oil companies but Red Line and Amsoil started bottling dino oils in bottles labeled as synthetic. The whole thing took on a life of its own, which is probably why people are badmouthing Edge.

Rest assured that you're not wrong to like or continue to use any of the oils you mentioned. Behind all this fuss, there is very very little evidence about what the oils are actually made of, and not even a shred of real evidence that the oils' performance suffered from the alleged mass shift to group III base oils. Many people simply assume that the products suck just... because.

It can easily be argued that Edge was a failure in terms of sales, but that's a different issue from the quality of the product itself.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I guess that's the answer I'm looking for. I think they make great oils just alittle pricey.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
some of the disdain is likely because Castrol was the first company to (in my opinion and the opinion of a few others) deceive the public by labelling Group III oils synthetic. Back in the good ol days when all Mobil 1 was Group IV ( a REAL synthetic - not just highly refined dino oil) Castrol came along and cheated (once again, my opinion) Mobil 1 tried to get some regulating agency to block Castrol - but the decision was that "synthetic" was a marketing term and there was no real definition. by now, there are all kinds of base stocks and things are a different ballgame - but some of us are still scarred by the one that started the mess....

So mobil one back in the days was a true synthetic oil? And now its group 3 based? So mobil today is a lesser product compared to back in the day? Lol I'm confused

M1 uses Group IV but it also mixes in Group III and Group V in their blends. We don't know by how much for sure because they keep it a secret.

All mobil 1 products USED to be advertised as 15k oils. that was important to me when using them for extended drains - especially in my truck which pulls 12,000 lbs up hills in the summer with the dual A/C running. On a hot July day the temp gauge is stretched a bit. So yes - I was upset when Mobil 1 quietly changed their oil lineup and only the EP product was rated for 15k miles. I'm not sure why that's funny.

and yes, I would say that the non-EP Mobil 1 products are a lesser product. and their pricing bears that out.

Last edited:
It really would be nice to see but all we can by are UOAs and testimonials.

Why does M1 0w40 get awesome results while M1 5w30 has high Iron and many reports of more noise in engines? BTW, there are no problems or complains about M1 EP 5w30 or M1 ESP 5w30 but since the majority of people who buy M1 buy regular M1 5w30, why does that one get the poor results?

Oh yeah as for Castrol Syntec, I tell people to use the 0w30 or something other than Syntec. The UOAs on the regular Sytec adn the testimonials are not what I consider acceptable for an oil that costs that much. The EDGE I would wholeheartidly recommend if you can get a deal on it like the Advance Auto Oil Change Specials. Same goes for the M1 EP and ESP lines

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
And other member saying the whole line of syntec is a joke.

I'm the OTHER member you are speaking of. You left out the part where I said that Castrol Syntec 0w-30 was the best shelf oil sold in the United States(or tied with Mobil 1 0w-40 for that honor).

I have always liked Castrol oil. I used GTX almost exclusively until I became a synthetic/RP convert. When I use conventional oil today it is still GTX.

I will say I "DETEST" the Edge ad's with that foolish Jimmy and dipstick [censored]. I refuse to buy Edge for that reason. Syntec is decent oil.

Last edited:
It's amazing how a Castrol thread can turn into a M1 bash. You guys that think todays M1 is a lesser oil have never seen any evidence in engine failures or engines expiring sooner than they should. I have many friends and family that have put 200-400K on engines with M1 oils since 2000 and their engines still are very clean and are still running great with 10-20K OCIs.

As for Castrol I believe their oil is fine, but their adds are juvenile.

I am one who stopped using Castrol products way back when.I used Castrol 100% before then.I recently asked(last year) Castrol about their NEW FULL synthetic auto trans fliud at less then 1/2 the price of Amsoils.I got a rude,short reply basically telling me to just believe them that's it's as good.But they offered NO facts to support such.I'll stick with Amsoils.

I don't think you can say that an oil is inferior if it has more group III base and still called synthetic. It is the real world results that tell you the quality of the product.

I would guess that Mobil's product is as high a quality as ever...either way, it is a great synthetic oil that has results to prove it. Castrol the same...especially their GTX Dino.

i have bin using castrol edge fore my nisan titan fore 2 oil changes all that i can say is it makes my titan run super quite so far i am impresed with how the enjine runs with it i onely ran it fore 3000 miles the next time i will go a lot longer whin i drained it it had the same coler that it had whin i put it in some of this may be because i used a royol purple oil filter maby next time i will get it anilized

i like both oils!,

i run M1 in my Jeep and my dads ford ranger becasue i belive M1 is still way up there when it comes to full synthetic oils,

(BTW is mobil 1 considered a group 5 synthetic?)

i use German castrol in the BMW because of its ACEA A3 rating and support from fellow BMW enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back