Why outer brake pad worn out and inner like new?

On my 03 Sequoia. Ordinarily I'd suspect caliper guide pins but this is a 4 piston fixed caliper. Maybe inner pistons seized? Odd thing is, 99% of the time, it brakes normally with no noise. If I have to make a hard stop, afterwards it makes the metallic grinding sound as the outer pad metal is scraping the rotor. That goes away after a few miles and it's quiet again.

IMG_8995.JPG

Well for sure replace pads and rotor. As for caliper, you need to take the caliper off the bracket, see if the pistons go in easily. What about the pins? Everything needs to be cleaned and inspected. New SS clips. Swelled boots for the pins?

On my 03 Sequoia. Ordinarily I'd suspect caliper guide pins but this is a 4 piston fixed caliper. Maybe inner pistons seized? Odd thing is, 99% of the time, it brakes normally with no noise. If I have to make a hard stop, afterwards it makes the metallic grinding sound as the outer pad metal is scraping the rotor. That goes away after a few miles and it's quiet again.

View attachment 67998
If you ever experience a clunk going into reverse. The brake pads shift. Add a second retaining clip to each pads. Clean those pins up or get new ones. Add some lube.

I mean, that’s a big difference, not a little uneven or a little taper. A lot. I’m assuming the inner pistons are seized. I don’t like how rusted the slides are either, or how rusted the pads to caliper clearance area is. Probably nothing but I’d sand blast all of that and Sil Glyde the pins, edges of the pads and caliper window edges.

The whole setup is in rough shape, but it mostly likely started with a seized caliper. Its a well known problem with 4th gen 4runners that share the same parts as the tundra and sequoia. I have had to replace the calipers each time I need new pads on my 03 V8 4runner. My right side front is headed in that same direction as this pic again after about 6 years since I did the brakes last time.

Back