Why not Schaeffer's x-200 15w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With seeming popularity of diesel, CH rated motor oils I don't recall readin about anyone using Schaeffer's Moly Bond X-200 15w-40 (CI-4/CH-4, SL)? Since other Schaeffer products are held in high regard it only seems natural to me that this oil would be getting some play?

Just curious.

Mikep

Good question and after looking it up, I believe that the #151 is straight dino. Now the 7k series is partially synthetic. There are a few 7k 15w-40 UOAs on the boads. I guess that if given a choice the 7k series just makes more sense. Is the #151 good oil? You betcha, but the 7k series is probably better for not that much more...
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by uconn1150:
Good question and after looking it up, I believe that the #151 is straight dino. Now the 7k series is partially synthetic. There are a few 7k 15w-40 UOAs on the boads. I guess that if given a choice the 7k series just makes more sense. Is the #151 good oil? You betcha, but the 7k series is probably better for not that much more...
dunno.gif

Makes sense to get a partial syn/PAO for a small premium but I thought the folks who prefer diesel, CI-CH rated oils do so for the enhanced detergent/cleansing properties. Does the series 7K have those same cleansing properties?

Mikep

If memory serves Bob has stated that both the Schaeffer's X-200 and series 7000 oils have the same additive mix. The only difference is the synthetic in the Series 7000 oils.

This synthetic give the Series 7000 oils better cold flow numbers and maybe improved oxidation resistance.

I believe the difference between the cost of X-200 and Series 7000 is measured in cents not dollars.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
If memory serves Bob has stated that both the Schaeffer's X-200 and series 7000 oils have the same additive mix. The only difference is the synthetic in the Series 7000 oils.

This synthetic give the Series 7000 oils better cold flow numbers and maybe improved oxidation resistance.

I believe the difference between the cost of X-200 and Series 7000 is measured in cents not dollars.

Ah, then that would certainly explain it. Thanks for clearing it up. Actually, I was considering trying the Schaeffer Micron Moly 5w-30 and 10w-30. Like the X-200, it is supposed to be the same add pack as the 7000 just in a group II+ base rather than the PAO/Group II+ blend. A check on pricing shows that the series 7000 blend is only like 45 cents more per quart which makes me wonder why anyone would buy the Group II+ dino juice and not the series 7000.

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back