Why NO Love for Pennzoil Euro Brands on BITOG

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06
Thanks for everyone's input. Most of the responses here have been about availability and pricing. I can easily source the Pennzoil locally and online.

Can we take those two factors Out for a moment and discuss the technically attributes and advantages that each possess?

LX looks really good. Others, are OK. 5W40 that I use is OK. I cannot say anything else bcs. we do not know Noack or HTHS. Based on latest PDS, amount of GTL base went down bcs. pour point increased from -45 to -36c. KV100 is 12.8, which puts it is light W40 category and my "guesstimate" would be HTHS of around 3.6.
So, unless we are talking Noack around 7%, this oil is good, but not worth of turning world upside down to get it. Based on Noack of BMW TPT which is made by SOPUS, Naock of 5W40 is probably around 9%. Which would still be good.
However, DEFINIATELY not worth of $10 a quart when equally good oils or better are available at better price.

Last edited:
Basically that's the only oil I use, as it meets the MB 229.52/52. My Diesel doesn't sound too angry with that Pennzoil Euro L.

So, this is really anecdotal and my observation and not fact...

I'm based in SE USA. It seems like there is no love for Pennzoil Euro Spec oils here on BITOG. I'm wondering why? It seems like everyone Is Quick to suggest or recommend boutique brands or mainstream Mobil 1, Valvoline, castrol Etc varieties.

Availability at WM is the main reason. WM does not stock the 5W-40 and even the 0w-40 is extremely difficult to find.

I hear you guys on the pricing but north of the border Pennzoil Euro is considered reasonably priced, especially with the $10 rebate available from Shell Canada at Walmart and Canadian Tire. Pennzoil Euro of most grades is presently on sale at Canadian Tire, a store Americans would love. Where else can you pick up tires, oil and ammo?
laugh.gif

Canadian Tire Pennzoil.JPG

Last edited:
It's interesting the market differences. The LX version seems to be tough to find in the US, but in Canada it is not, and there are even QS and store-brand Motomaster brand of the exact same oil, for cheaper.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Same issue here, availability, although I have recently discovered Menards sells the 0w40 version at a pretty good price. Still would cost me more than a jug of Castrol however and that is usually the problem. On paper the 0w40 looks excellent and I am considering spending the few extra bucks to try it.

Wally's here has the Euro L 5w30 but it isn't approved for VW specs and on paper it is not nearly as impressive as the LX or 0w40 versions. JMO.

Advanced Auto Online had the LX 0W-30 for $7/qt earlier in the year with free shipping. They should still have it in stock

I'm actually using the 5W30 Euro L in my Golf R right now (had it on hand already), but technically it's not approved since it's no longer 504/507. I have a bunch of the Mobil1 0W30 ESP that IS the correct spec for my car, and it was $5.99 a qt. on sale. I really doubt there's much to chose between any of those 3 oils.

If I was in Canada, I'd be using the Euro LX 0W30. So, I think for most it really does come down to price and availability. Remove that from the equation and it's just picking nit--they're all good oils.

I'd be running the Euro LX in my TDi IF I could find it here in Florida on the shelf somewhere... I'm not a mailorder oil guy. I want to pick it up same day off the shelf, smell and taste it before I pour it in!

I love the yellow bottle brand, prefer it over M1 any day but sadly M1 is EVERYWHERE.

Originally Posted by zmelli
Because we are all old and scarred, Pennzoil used to have a horrible reputation for sludge. Old dogs can not learn new tricks.

But on the other hand, ignorant old notions are only perpetuated when they are endlessly repeated. Especially on public Internet forums.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by zmelli
Because we are all old and scarred, Pennzoil used to have a horrible reputation for sludge. Old dogs can not learn new tricks.

But on the other hand, ignorant old notions are only perpetuated when they are endlessly repeated. Especially on public Internet forums.

Ignorant old notions are actually old facts. Perpetually repeated because the question is perpetually asked as a result of bad reputation of the brand. The orange can oil filter also has the same stigma. To continue using a product that was proven inferior is Insanity.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, which is the same as your Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, is a very well respected and heavily used oil in Australia.

It carries all the full-SAPS Euro specs A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 and Porsche A40.

To me it's also more affordable that M1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0/5W40, so it's my go-to Euro 40 grade oil.

Originally Posted by SR5
Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, which is the same as your Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, is a very well respected and heavily used oil in Australia.

It carries all the full-SAPS Euro specs A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 and Porsche A40.

To me it's also more affordable that M1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0/5W40, so it's my go-to Euro 40 grade oil.

no 229.51, or 229.52

mb diesels are out

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by SR5

no 229.51, or 229.52

mb diesels are out

There are others like Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W30

Specifications: ACEA C3; API SN; MB Approval 229.51, 229.31; BMW LL-04; GM dexos2TM; Chrysler MS-11106

in the 50’s and 60’s Pennzoil and QS were the oils that didn’t sludge like Esso and others. Pennsylvania crude was in demand because it had less wax or was refined better. Can’t remember for sure. But other oils would wax up an engine.

Finding 504/507 on the shelf from any manufacturer is not easy. NAPA and the dealer are my choices if I want to buy it off the shelf. Nowhere else, and I look for it every time I go to different stores. Maybe in other parts of the country or Canada but not here. I would buy the Pennzoil if the price was right and I could find it. So, mail order or Mobil 1 ESP when it goes on sale at NAPA.

I’ll echo price and availability. I use Euro LX in the Giulia because it’s the only oil (other than Mopar) readily available in the US, that meets the specs called for (0w-30, API SN, and MS13340 or 9.55535.GS1) in the manual. Once out of warranty I’ll be switching to PP 5w-30 which meets MS13340 but can be had for 1/3 of the price.

Back