Why isn't their L.E.D. headlight upgrade kits for old cars?

Automotive Cancer = "Well, everybody else has 'em so we gotta include 'em in our vehicles".
The consumer contributes to this too.
I was thinking I love the $81k Tahoe. But it has $54,200 headlamps and tail lamps. Even joe Raiti triple zonked the tails. One for brake, one for reverse, one for signal. That’s where it matters, as leds respond fast.

Explain this to me like I’m 6 yo.

Do high end cars still have adaptive lights, or they’re just bright led bulbs that blind oncoming traffic. My cars are old. All 3 have HID and 2/3 swivel/level etc. I’m often blinded by cars such as Subarus chevys Toyotas Jeeps with LEd but was thinking maybe caddy or Porsche still level them out

Much as I hate to suggest it, DOT needs to catch up and may need to adjust the behavior of the car mfgs
It depends on the manufacturers options. My Mercedes LED's, for example, are motorized, and will actually turn the beam away from oncoming traffic. When the high beams do kick on, it's like daylight, and a very wide beam.
Pretty amazing to see, but you won't get that on a Lexus. Well, maybe you will if they offer that option.

The future is projector led bulbs that only light up the dark areas of the scene in front. Multiple bulbs aimed independently of each other.

and thats the problem... People are installing these in none led housings and blinding people at night...
Had eyesight until this morning's commute, so I can testify to this occurrence.

I'm generally a laissez-faire kinda guy, but when you're on the road blinding people because of your crappy ebay retrofit lights, I kinda wish we had local annual vehicle inspections. Customize all you want, it's the risk to others that justifies some protective measure for public roads.

I'm generally a laissez-faire kinda guy, but when you're on the road blinding people because of your crappy ebay retrofit lights, I kinda wish we had local annual vehicle inspections. Customize all you want, it's the risk to others that justifies some protective measure for public roads.

We have annual safety inspections in Virginia and the LED crap is STILL on the roads. Yea, I can tell when I see your 5000K LED light in a 20-year-old minivan.

..... I'm generally a laissez-faire kinda guy, but when you're on the road blinding people because of your crappy ebay retrofit lights, I kinda wish we had local annual vehicle inspections. Customize all you want, it's the risk to others that justifies some protective measure for public roads.
The problem is it's not just people who are retrofitting crummy headlights to their old cars that are the bulk of the problem. Many new car factory headlights are every bit, or even more crappy and blinding. As the link in my previous post shows.

We have annual safety inspections in Virginia and the LED crap is STILL on the roads. Yea, I can tell when I see your 5000K LED light in a 20-year-old minivan.
Here in PA apparently illegal tints on windows and illegible or altered plates, do not affect the state inspection.

Sorta like when people with no Reggie, insurance, and suspended license, are allowed to drive away after an accident as long as they sign a summons agreeing to appear in court. So many things make no sense today.

It depends on the manufacturers options. My Mercedes LED's, for example, are motorized, and will actually turn the beam away from oncoming traffic. When the high beams do kick on, it's like daylight, and a very wide beam.
Pretty amazing to see, but you won't get that on a Lexus. Well, maybe you will if they offer that option.

The future is projector led bulbs that only light up the dark areas of the scene in front. Multiple bulbs aimed independently of each other.
This is likely like the 2017 or so BMW loaner I had with adaptive LED. This would make sense. But a 2023 Suburban should be zonked. Maybe an Escalade is proper. Yes, it’s cost. But still should be proper.

Sorta like when people with no Reggie, insurance, and suspended license, are allowed to drive away after an accident as long as they sign a summons agreeing to appear in court. So many things make no sense today.

Years ago I was rear-ended by someone with no insurance and expired tags. She didn't get a ticket, and the officer refused to do anything about it when I called her and made her aware that this driver had no insurance.

The problem is it's not just people who are retrofitting crummy headlights to their old cars that are the bulk of the problem. Many new car factory headlights are every bit, or even more crappy and blinding. As the link in my previous post shows.
you are absolutely correct. Late model GM full size trucks seem to take the crown on this one with Super Dutys trying to dethrone them.

LEDs are worse because of the extremely narrow bandwidth of the light emitted. This makes them glare a lot worse than HIDs or Halogen.

We need some kind of cooler color temp LED developed stat for automotive applications. Blue headlights look cool but they suck for the actual task of helping someone see and be seen.

Explain this to me like I’m 6 yo.

Do high end cars still have adaptive lights, or they’re just bright led bulbs that blind oncoming traffic. My cars are old. All 3 have HID and 2/3 swivel/level etc. I’m often blinded by cars such as Subarus chevys Toyotas Jeeps with LEd but was thinking maybe caddy or Porsche still level them out

Much as I hate to suggest it, DOT needs to catch up and may need to adjust the behavior of the car mfgs
Proper adaptive headlights like the EU gets that can track and dim the beam selectively for oncoming traffic or the heavily neutered USA “adaptive” system that for most vehicles only kicks the high beams on for you? The swiveling system was cool on the Mazda though. The problem with auto leveling headlights is they’re not always adjusting, they really only compensate if you put a heavy load in the back to bring the headlights back down to their normal position…. At least that’s how it was on my Durango, and if you nailed the gas hard you could see the headlights pitch up then come back down, then let off the gas and they’d pitch down then come back up, but just cruise up a hill they wouldn’t move since there wasn’t a difference between the front and rear ride height at that point.

IIRC it was a requirement for vehicles with HID projector headlights to have auto leveling headlights. Not sure for LED reflector/projector headlights. I do wish they’d make a warmer color though, I’d love a proper set of ~4000k LED headlights.

Not sure how they originally passed but Ford had to recall a large number of F-150's with the led option, as they allowed for excessive glare.

Not sure how they originally passed but Ford had to recall a large number of F-150's with the led option, as they allowed for excessive glare.
That's the part that gets me. Everyone complains how stupid, careless, and illegal it is, to go and install these cheap Amazon aftermarket LED's to incandescent filament headlight units. Because the reflectors are not designed for them. Or how the entire unit has to conform to LED lighting "standards". (Of which there appear to be none).

Or how a cop will bust you for doing it. And on and on.... Well my question is how do the automakers get away with designing and building their blinding, crummy headlights they install on these factory cars and trucks? Where is the DOT testing?

As was mentioned, on low beams you end up overdriving them at anything over 35 MPH. So most drivers will go to high beams instead. Just so they can see far enough down the road to stop. This is especially true on dark rural roads.

Or else you have these big 1 ton plus pickups, that will blind you on any setting. Who's designing these things at the factory, Mr. Magoo? There seems to be a huge double standard as to what is legally tolerated, and what is not.

That's the part that gets me. Everyone complains how stupid, careless, and illegal it is, to go and install these cheap Amazon aftermarket LED's to incandescent filament headlight units. Because the reflectors are not designed for them. Or how the entire unit has to conform to LED lighting "standards". (Of which there appear to be none).

Or how a cop will bust you for doing it. And on and on.... Well my question is how do the automakers get away with designing and building their blinding, crummy headlights they install on these factory cars and trucks? Where is the DOT testing?

As was mentioned, on low beams you end up overdriving them at anything over 35 MPH. So most drivers will go to high beams instead. Just so they can see far enough down the road to stop. This is especially true on dark rural roads.

Or else you have these big 1 ton plus pickups, that will blind you on any setting. Who's designing these things at the factory, Mr. Magoo? There seems to be a huge double standard as to what is legally tolerated, and what is not.
BMW has laser headlights that are awesome. No glare and a 3/4 mile reach plus.

Proper adaptive headlights like the EU gets that can track and dim the beam selectively for oncoming traffic or the heavily neutered USA “adaptive” system that for most vehicles only kicks the high beams on for you? The swiveling system was cool on the Mazda though. The problem with auto leveling headlights is they’re not always adjusting, they really only compensate if you put a heavy load in the back to bring the headlights back down to their normal position…. At least that’s how it was on my Durango, and if you nailed the gas hard you could see the headlights pitch up then come back down, then let off the gas and they’d pitch down then come back up, but just cruise up a hill they wouldn’t move since there wasn’t a difference between the front and rear ride height at that point.

IIRC it was a requirement for vehicles with HID projector headlights to have auto leveling headlights. Not sure for LED reflector/projector headlights. I do wish they’d make a warmer color though, I’d love a proper set of ~4000k LED headlights.
DDMtuning has 4500K LEDs

I do wish they’d make a warmer color though, I’d love a proper set of ~4000k LED headlights.

It's more expensive to make LEDs with a warmer light (lower color temperature). Combine that with the average customer who thinks 5000K must be better than 2700K (the number is bigger!), and it's easy to see why they don't make them. In terms of LED bulbs for household use, I've only seen 2700K, 3000K, and 5000K. I have a package of 5000K bulbs I bought a long time ago and I don't use them much. I made the mistake of using one of those 5000K bulbs to replace my outdoor light fixture bulb, and it looked horrible. I replaced it with a 3000K LED bulb. It originally had a 2700K CFL that somehow lasted over 6 years before it died.

I DDMtuning has 4500K LEDs [URL unfurl="true said:
https://ddmtuning.com/SaberLED-ProX-55W-Accu-V2-H11-W-Y.SaberLED-ProX-55W-AccuV2-H11-LED-Bulbs-12500LMPR-WY[/URL]
I meant to also put that I have those lows and highs in my 2500 with projectors. literally night and day difference in brightness between those and the stock LL bulbs, of course. But the 4500K also keeps it fairly close to OE color so there's really not any difference other than they're brighter, which is perfect. On the other hand, our CR-V has a pair of 6000K LEDs and not a fan at all. Probably will switch to the 4500K DDMtuning's for it sometime in the near future.

Back