Why is USB-C cabling a mess?

Meh, ports break. More important that its easily reparable without breaking the bank.
We don’t repair bcs of high income employees - new >> wipe >> donate … The loss of productivity is more than the PC …
(takes two hours to load and test a new PC) …

Well that is different, I was talking about private consumers.

Still does not stop you (or the intern) from repairing the port ang giving it to the next person that f*cks up their laptop.

Last edited:
Edit: If its so bad why does Macbook have USB-C/Thunderbolt and not lightning?
Lightning is an old design that predates USB-C. It is more physically robust but that’s about it. Apple did not see fit to reinvent that wheel. USB connector quality varies greatly based on manufacturer and if the connector has a board guide and through-hole plated posts or not.

We have lots of Dell notebooks with the USB-C ports failed …
Never had any of the larger ports fail …
They are weaker than USB A ports for sure. Type B… eh it depends. Dell is probably using a cheap connector. The difference between different brands of connectors in tests I’ve done for boards I designed is massive. A Samtec or Hirose connector is typically very strong if the board and mechanical support is designed correctly. Most consumer electronics will be using some Chinese house brand connector and it’s a total crapshoot.

Probably not, everything apple does just leaves bad taste in my mouth.
My phone uses VOOC 80W no need to touch slow Apple charging. Voltage Open Loop Multi-step Constant-Current Charging
Trusted 3rd party (ugreen anker etc) or OE cables and everything will be fine.

Its not like it does not already exists bad lightning cables from china.
80W charging on a phone is an unnecessary gimmick and probably accelerates degradation of the battery. I have designed charging circuitry for lithium polymer batteries before. That C rate is crazy, either they are terrific cells or the manufacturer just doesn’t care how they perform in 2-3 years. You might not like Apple and their ecosystem, but their quality standards are typically higher than everyone else in consumer electronics.

80W charging on a phone is an unnecessary gimmick and probably accelerates degradation of the battery. I have designed charging circuitry for lithium polymer batteries before. That C rate is crazy, either they are terrific cells or the manufacturer just doesn’t care how they perform in 2-3 years. You might not like Apple and their ecosystem, but their quality standards are typically higher than everyone else in consumer electronics.

Dual cell battery 2x2500mAh 😎 120-150W is available with superVOOC that's crazy!
65W with single battery.
And no battery usually last just as long. Lower voltage higher current with good temperature sensors.
You really need to change battery after 2.5-3 years anyway (if you want to keep using them 4yrs+) Have done so on 2 of my last 4 phones. They 30-45W charging years ago.

Last edited:
C is a mess that it is not just a physical connection but also a lot of power spec involved, as well as device driver for the "hub" to work with the OS.

I have a phone that is only using USB-C for fast charging but the speed is USB 2.0, I have a USB-C adapter that will not get above 5V as it is only for connecting a low power device, I have a USBC laptop charger, a USBC docking station, a USBC to lightning cable, etc etc. Basically, the connector itself is meaningless, but what is connecting to it means everything.

This morning I just got a USB-C to USB A / C adapter to hook a bunch of my low power device together but not hijacking my HDMI away from my docking station. I have rejected quite a few nicer stuff because they put HDMI on it, and many others with only USB A but not C (I have both USB C and USB A I have to connect).

C is a mess that it is not just a physical connection but also a lot of power spec involved, as well as device driver for the "hub" to work with the OS.

I have a phone that is only using USB-C for fast charging but the speed is USB 2.0, I have a USB-C adapter that will not get above 5V as it is only for connecting a low power device, I have a USBC laptop charger, a USBC docking station, a USBC to lightning cable, etc etc. Basically, the connector itself is meaningless, but what is connecting to it means everything.

This morning I just got a USB-C to USB A / C adapter to hook a bunch of my low power device together but not hijacking my HDMI away from my docking station. I have rejected quite a few nicer stuff because they put HDMI on it, and many others with only USB A but not C (I have both USB C and USB A I have to connect).

I think the general idea is that almost anything will default to 480 mbit/sec and/or 5V, and that's the basic guarantee for interoperability. But that's not the promise that they had. But that's not really that big a deal for most of what I need. I use primarily Apple mobile devices, and all iPhones and iPads only communicate with USB 2.0 connection speeds. Customers want cheap these days. But then again I was thinking of getting a USB-C drive enclosure. It not only cost more than a standard USB micro-B drive enclosure, but that one might be tempted to use whatever USB-C cable is lying around, while almost all of the USB micro-B drive cables out there are USB 3.0. I ended up getting a UGREEN USB-C to micro-B drive cable. Because it's unique in my collection, it's hard to mistake for anything else. I tried using a standard cable and an USB-C adapter and it kept on disconnecting just if I bumped the desk too hard.

Last edited:
I get annoyed when anything new has anything other than USB-C. It seems to charge and transfer data flawlessly on my computers, phones and vehicles. But I'm lucky, I don't have to use any Apple devices at all.

Also - the bidirectional nature of some things gets confusing. I've got one of these:

uflat-or-usb-c-hub-4-in-1-or-pd-or-uni-1_800x.jpg

The directions weren't that clear and I had cases where I couldn't quite figure out how it worked. It was supposed to provide pass through charging while I could still use it as a hub with a computer operating off the battery. But the USB-C port only works for providing input power to a device connected through the USB-C male connector and not as a hub for USB-C device.

I've tried some weird things with it like connecting it to a USB-C power-only source. I can get it to power the USB-A ports, but then it doesn't do anything with anything connected to the USB-C port. I have tried it with a USB-C iPad where it kind of hangs there. I can't seem to connect a USB-A mouse or keyboard, but I can have it connected to a USB-C power source through a USB-C cable and then simultaneously power USB-A at the same time.

Also - the bidirectional nature of some things gets confusing. I've got one of these:

uflat-or-usb-c-hub-4-in-1-or-pd-or-uni-1_800x.jpg

The directions weren't that clear and I had cases where I couldn't quite figure out how it worked. It was supposed to provide pass through charging while I could still use it as a hub with a computer operating off the battery. But the USB-C port only works for providing input power to a device connected through the USB-C male connector and not as a hub for USB-C device.

I've tried some weird things with it like connecting it to a USB-C power-only source. I can get it to power the USB-A ports, but then it doesn't do anything with anything connected to the USB-C port. I have tried it with a USB-C iPad where it kind of hangs there. I can't seem to connect a USB-A mouse or keyboard, but I can have it connected to a USB-C power source through a USB-C cable and then simultaneously power USB-A at the same time.
It sounds defective.

It sounds defective.

I don't think it is. I remember I had another one a few years ago I bought for a former employer and where I handed it back when I left the company. It was one with a wired ethernet port and USB-A ports. But where the ethernet port connected meant that USB-A didn't work.

I disliked micro-B because of it's short lifespan. It was more proliferate in external drive enclosures and some phones but I felt like it got phased out of existence too fast but now I have to remember to keep a couple at work just-in-case. USB-B IMO was lame, only devices that use them now are printers but you'd think they'd all just go back to a regular USB-A.

I disliked micro-B because of it's short lifespan. It was more proliferate in external drive enclosures and some phones but I felt like it got phased out of existence too fast but now I have to remember to keep a couple at work just-in-case. USB-B IMO was lame, only devices that use them now are printers but you'd think they'd all just go back to a regular USB-A.

USB micro-B is still everywhere. A lot of random devices still use it as a charging port. I got an older Amazon Echo Dot that used micro-B for power, although the one I got with a clock uses a coax power connector. Last year I got a Roku Express 4K+ and that has a micro-B port for power. I found an image of the back.
71txjDvNUAL.jpg

I've also got a few USB mini-B devices. Some older external hard drives including bus or external powered. I got a Blue Snowball ICE microphone, which is still being made. I do remember when the Motorola RAZR V3 used it, but it didn't really work universally with any of my other power adapters other than ones specifically for that device which had a captive cable.

There are Usb C to Micro usb adapters. Im using my c cables and C female to micro usb male adapters to charge older phones I use only on wifi or as mp3 players.
Just got a more rare usbc female to usbA female adapter, to charge one magnetic tailcap flashlight from a portable usb C male source.

All USB connectors love Deoxit d5. They click home with authority afterwards, and often charge at higher rates.

There are Usb C to Micro usb adapters. Im using my c cables and C female to micro usb male adapters to charge older phones I use only on wifi or as mp3 players.
Just got a more rare usbc female to usbA female adapter, to charge one magnetic tailcap flashlight from a portable usb C male source.

All USB connectors love Deoxit d5. They click home with authority afterwards, and often charge at higher rates.

I’ve got some odd ones. Some are triple head USB-C, USB micro-B, and Lightning. Not sure how power is distributed and I haven’t tried it with more than one data connection. Also no Apple license.

I did get some that have a base of a USB micro-B to USB-A cable, but captive adapters on the side for Lightning and USB-C. With Apple licensing too. Similar to this.

43864022335_e665934bcc_o.jpg

Back