why is mobil drive clean so cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to the auto store today and looked at oil prices. i noticed that penz is about 1.79 per quart and castrol like 1.85 per quart. then i looked at my oil mobil drive clean for 1.27. mobil super syn is about 3.75 or so. i noticed that i guess the better the oil the more expensive...then why is mobil cheaper....is there something wrong with mobil drive clean 10w30?

Don't let prices fool you, for instance Castrol Syntec is more expensive than Mobil 1, but in no way is it better.

Pricing has more to do with supply and demand and the way the company sells it's product than the quality of the oil. Up here Redline is $17 to $20 a quart for instance. Does that make it 3-4 times better than Mobil 1? No.

here in va. beach, penzoil is going for around 1.79 a qt for the reg dino 5-30. target has it for 1.29. pep boys is selling mobil-1 for 4.74 a qt! hello, glad to meet everyone, i'm a new mem.

hehe welcome to the site...well thanks....now i understand why its cheaper...never thought of it that way.

Yep, I've tried to make sense of oil pricing for a while ... but I don't give it much thought anymore.
dunno.gif

A lot of it is about marketing and "product positioning" but that doesn't explain why the price varies so greatly between discounters (Wal-Mart vs. Target) or even the same chain of stores.
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

I thought Mobil was cheap til I found Wal-Mart dino. As long as it's designated SL and made in the USA I figure it is good for 2,000 miles.

[ January 01, 2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Pluto5 ]

I thought the drive clean was using a group I baseoil still, which would be why is it less expensive than say Pennzoil, which uses the Purebase technology?

I don't know for sure though, but that would be my guess.

humm i heard its group 1...havent got those down yet...but from teh analysis reports i seen its good...humm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back