Why is it so hard to find a cat5e extension cable?

I'm no genius, but doesn't a coupler introduce two new potential points of failure, while an "extension" is only one? I think the OP is right to purchase a special cable rather than a coupler.

A coupler to solve the short term issue while waiting for the long term issue.

Quick, cheap, good...pick two...wait, in today's economy, pick ONE.

Not according to some other posts,

Which is why I went with the extension cable.
Any junction in the cable introduces noise and resistance, that's why they are generally avoided, particularly mid-span. With a coupler you are introducing two junctions, so yes, they are worse. The best choice is obviously a new full-length run.

That's all well and good but if your computer is 50 feet from your router and you want to move it 5 feet to the other side of the room, should you have to go out and buy a new 100 foot cable when you could just as well use a 6 foot extension?
Yes. Or you should buy a crimper and a spool of cable and crimp your own.

I "borrowed" a crimper and crimp my own when I did my security cam setup. It is time consuming but not as much as shopping for an "extension. If you don't want to crimp just go on monoprice / amazon / ebay and buy a 75' one and swap out the cable.

Except a coupler adds two connections while an extension cable just one.
Makes no difference. You are still introducing an extra connection that isn't properly done. There is a reason why couplers are used for testing purposes and not permanent installation. But I suppose you know better than me, what with my 25+ years of network experience and all.

I've never seen an "extension" for ethernet cable before.

I'd just use a coupler and another patch cable

What's so unique about it? All electrical extension cords have Male/Female ends.
They sell a connector to connect two ethernet cables together. Oops never mind I see this is been discussed.
Well if you have a crimp tool you could cut the end of one of the cables and put on a female connector yourself.

I get what you’re saying though, I have the same issue wanting a 6 foot USB cable that will plug into a 3.0 port but have a USB A socket at the other end. I think I stated that correctly🙃

Last edited:
cat5ext.jpg

I never ever used an extension. I don't know how long the cable is you want to extend. I either made a new cable or just bought a longer one.

I'm confident your equipment won't be running 10 gbps so however you splice it will be fine. The original ethernet spec back aeons ago allowed use over twisted pair telephone line.

If it doesn't work, you know you goofed, and can think about taking down that headliner.

You can get the rj45 couplers at Lowe's for a few bucks but you'd still need another cable to extend it so probably just better off buying a cable with the length you need.

Personally I've never even seen a pre-made ie: store bought M to F ethernet cable. Providing you have the necessary tools and know how you can create one yourself by stripping the wires, crimping a rj45 connector on the one end and using keystone jack on the other end for fairly cheap or you could just buy a cable and cut the one end off and attach the keystone.

Wow everybody is making this harder than it seems. Not everybody cares about RF interference or the perfect setup, he's not using it for a data center. I googled up Cat5e male to female extensions and got virtually unlimited results. Here's the google results for you.

Back