Why is 10W40 Oil So Popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
I don't think I've seen it (dino 10w-40) on store shelves for at least ten years.

You must not have been looking very hard. I've never seen a store that doesn't have it...even the local grocery store has 10w40.

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Barnhart:
Anyone know how the VIIs compare between today's 5W30 and 10W40 dinos? Seems like they might be similar.

Don't know, but since Ford and GM and others have not recommended this grade in years, what would be the impetus for major improvement? The 10-40 would also have a major amount more of these VII's.

Maybe our experts know, but I also doubt many dino 10-40's have the same quality of basestock either. Probably no GPII like you might find in the 30 wts.

A dino 10-40 won't stay 40 wt. for long anyway, before it shears back.

There are a couple of synthetic 10-40's worth considering, but I would never use a conventional 10W-40. I made that mistake back in the 1970's.
blush.gif

I can't blame any engine maker for wanting to void warranties with it.

Looking at the amount of additive long chain polymers (plastic) in this stuff scares me.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
I would never use a conventional 10W-40. I made that mistake back in the 1970's.

Granted the 10w40 takes a lot of VII, but I would hope the VIIs used today are a whole lot better than those used in the '70s.

I had great success (read car longevity) using Havoline 10W-40 and Mobil 10W-40 throughout the late 70's and early 80's - on long Turnpike drives in frosty upstate NY. That was why I was surprised at the "angry recall" of so many on this board regarding their experiences with 10W-40s (on another post). Relatively few used 10W-30s in the 70s. I think the 10W-30s were even priced less!

quote:

A dino 10-40 won't stay 40 wt. for long anyway, before it shears back.

I've read the same thing here about dino 30 weights, that is, that they won't be 30 weights long. Hence my question about VIIs in today's 5W30 and 10W40 dinos. Perhaps the 5W30 base stocks are better. But does anyone know how the base stocks and VIIs compare between the two? It just seems that today's dino 5W30s aren't that great, and I'm wondering if they are really more stable than today's 10W40 dinos.

Well, my dad and I have been using 10w-40 in our VW's and Audis for decades. I even use it in my 944. I've seen no evidence of sludge build up. The oil seems to do fine for us. We usually change around 3k miles (or yearly in the case of the 944, which doesn't get driven much.) I don't see what all the fuss is over 10w-40.
smile.gif
I also use it in my '55 Austin-Healey and change it every year. The VW and Audis have been using Quaker State. I've been using Castrol GTX in the Healey.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
I don't think I've seen it (dino 10w-40) on store shelves for at least ten years.

You must not have been looking very hard. I've never seen a store that doesn't have it...even the local grocery store has 10w40.

I stand corrected. Autozone has some in stock. Exxon superflow.

I'm in MD and usually see 10W40 in most Auto places.It still seems like a popular grade even though it's not speced in most manuels.

I like it in my 79 BMW.

People just think that 10W-40 has to be better than 10W-30 or 5W-30 just because of the bigger numbers. They can come up with all kinds of reasons but many are just opinions and those are like AH's, everyone has one.
wink.gif

I recall back in the early 1970 I purchased new a Chevelle SS 454. I wanted the best oil so I used LDO, Standard Oil (Amoco and now BP) top of the line brand then. My friends dad owned a station and he used to tease me that only rich people used 10W-40 LDO. LDO stood for Long Distance Oil but no one went any further on it then they did with the popular 10W-30 or 20W-20.

Its that old mentality, it worked for 30 yrs and I never have one problem etc. But the same could be said with all the others.

I can see where 10w-40 would be an ideal weight here in the south where it can get over 100 in summer and hardly ever drops below 20 in winter. I noticed that Castrol and Mobil make a synthetic blend 10w-40. Those may not have as much VI's as a convential oil, maybe someone could confirm that. Maybe it's a just a 15w-40 with esters.

[ June 17, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: glxpassat ]

quote:

Originally posted by jbas:
I had great success (read car longevity) using Havoline 10W-40 and Mobil 10W-40 throughout the late 70's and early 80's - on long Turnpike drives in frosty upstate NY. That was why I was surprised at the "angry recall" of so many on this board regarding their experiences with 10W-40s (on another post). Relatively few used 10W-30s in the 70s. I think the 10W-30s were even priced less!

Way to go, my buddy!!!!! In the mid-1990's, I drove old Ford's (some were 1981's), and these clunkers would blow their old Ford coolant hoses all the time. Sometimes, I had to keep on driving even when my cooling system had failed completely (read, Dry!!!!). The only oil I used then was Castrol dinosaur. GTX 10w-40 for v-6 Fords, HD-30 for v-8 Fords. Never had a problem, and never had to have the heads or valve covers off. I can't understand why so many people cuss out Castrol. But then again, the Valvoline and Mobil 1 fans in here can't understand why I keep putting down their favorite oil.

Whoa! Korean's viscosity chart has got 'em baffled. I looked up the "recommended" oil visc grades for my new Kia Sedona with 3.5L V6 (DOHC), and got this from their web sites:

AMSOIL - 10W-40
Castrol - 30 Weight, or 40 Weight

I was mildly surprised that AMSOIL recommended a 10W-40 over their 10W-30, but when was the last time a straight weight was recommended in a passenger vehicle?

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
I have not used this oil in 20 years. If I feel a need to use a 40W oil I will use 15W40 or 5W40. For 2 years I have watched post after post talking about using 10W40. What am I missing?

dunno.gif

I personally like it. I think it's a little more bullet proof than a 5w but not as thick in the cold as a 15w. In most states 10w40 would be most perfect for pickups, older cars, motorcycles and lawn equipment.

15W-40 - "Why would I want to put a diesel oil in my car?"

0/5W-40 - "That stuff costs to much"

20W-50 - "My brother Billy-Bob knows a guy that said it was so thick when its cold it blew the oil filter right off his car"

10W-40 - "Its a 10 Weight when its cold so it starts good and a 40 on top. Everyone knows thicker is better!"

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
15W-40 - "Why would I want to put a diesel oil in my car?"

Yeah. So far I am not convinced to run a diesel oil (even though also rated gasoline) in my pickup except possibly a couple OCIs for cleaning effect. However, I am running 15w40 right now, but not an HDEO. I am running a PCEO 15w40 and probably the only PCEO 15w40--Valvoline Durablend (the 15w40 grade of this is hard to find except at NAPA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back