Why I Switched to 0W8

molybdenum dithiocarbamate MoDTC with NOACK 11%, lower than some 0W-20. Very interesting paper here , just preview.

Some newest Yaris in Europe use 0W-8 now. 1.0L and 1.5L turbo 3 cylinders. Probably some Honda too.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Championship race teams are now qualifying on highest quality 0W8 motor oil.
They then find it unnecessary to rebuild engines prior to race day.
The bearings are unscathed.
Fly Erica Fly..

As always, racing improves the breed. Even road racers are embracing the uber-thin oils in an effort to eek out every last competitive advantage. They manage oil temps very carefully and get good results. However, you will find that race cars don't operate for 6 months of daily use with fuel contaminated, particulate contaminated oil grinding away at the timing chain pins.

--Past UOAs provide data points indicating non-severe service.
--Recent new circumstances are even less severe.
--Delivery driver subcontractor with very consistent conditions.
--Average 80k mi/yr. 225 mi/dy. 358 dys/yr.
--Mildest of climates working, living in SF Bay Area.
--Mostly flat roads.
--SFO <> OAK <> SJC.
-- Lighter loads now ~100# or less.
--Deadlines are becoming less time critical.
--Using basic hypermiling techniques.
--RPMs almost always 1500 to 2800.
--Hybrids designed to run on thinner motor oils.
--See YarisCross Hybrid/Spec'd for 0W8.
--YMMV.

Championship race teams are now qualifying on highest quality 0W8 motor oil.
They then find it unnecessary to rebuild engines prior to race day.
The bearings are unscathed.
Fly Erica Fly..

Qualifying runs are short though. And getting that pole is very important. What are they running the race with?

I trust Toyota more than other manufacturers. By any standard of measure, many of their products universally live a long time.

However, not all today's engines are made to the same quality standard, and knowing what issues your particular engine has, is KEY when choosing an oil. Like it or not, we've had a rash of engine failures lately. Many are oil related.

Here is just another example of thin oil not being able to handle the stress. Complete main bearing failure. The cure, a more viscous oil.

I trust Toyota more than other manufacturers. By any standard of measure, many of their products universally live a long time.

However, not all today's engines are made to the same quality standard, and knowing what issues your particular engine has, is KEY when choosing an oil. Like it or not, we've had a rash of engine failures lately. Many are oil related.

Here is just another example of thin oil not being able to handle the stress. Complete main bearing failure. The cure, a more viscous oil.

Many people do not know how oil in an engine works.

Say it ain't so!

More and more engines today are running hotter, so much BS Like extra cats, DPF, SCR etc for emissions compliance causes tons of extra heat and stress and yet we allow alphabet teams like the EPA and CARB to make our oil choices just to get that .00001% fuel mileage increase. I've said this since 0W20 came about. Anything thinner and you will start having issues in all but the smallest, hybrid type engines.

you swung and you missed. a 3.5 HTHS C3 oil was replaced by a 3.9 HTHS CJ4 oil in a desperate and futile effort that fixed absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

When in doubt, pull the thick stuff out.

Back