Why I like Opti-2 two stroke oil

*Highest rating for 2 stroke oils
*Has stabilizer included in oil
*Can use 1 mix ratio for all equipment
*Runs at lower oil to gas mixture for less pollution

never used it,
The only Amsoil product I like is their dominator 2 stroke oil. I run 50:1 in everything, chain saw, Dirtbike's, weed eaters, anything that requires 2 stroke get the same stuff. and for the past 10-15 years or so, has been flawless.
I might give your suggestion a shot if I find it locally.

Last edited:
I've used it, and liked it as well. It's not going to perform miracles, like the makers would have you believe. I now generally stick to the product makers offerings.

I don’t run anything leaner than 50:1 so it just doesn’t make financial sense to run opti when there’s so many cheaper options. I’ve used it before at 50:1 and didn’t find it to be any different from other oils.

I had a friend years ago that used Opti from the packets for his Jiffy Ice Auger and it blew up. When we dumped the fuel you could see that that fuel has specs in it. When we looked closer it appeared that the oil had separated from the fuel. It was weird, but I have never used it after that. Maybe a fluke or maybe bad fuel? Who knows but it happened.

I've only seen it in packets, is it available in a bottle? I won't run less than 40:1 so I need 3.2 oz per gallon.

EDIT: looks like it is available in a gallon.
never used it,
The only Amsoil product I like is their dominator 2 stroke oil. I run 50:1 in everything, chain saw, Dirtbike's, weed eaters, anything that requires 2 stroke get the same stuff. and for the past 10-15 years or so, has been flawless.
I might give your suggestion a shot if I find it locally.
I know Ace hardware carries it. My local Toro dealer does. Amazon and I think Walmart online does too.

I had a friend years ago that used Opti from the packets for his Jiffy Ice Auger and it blew up. When we dumped the fuel you could see that that fuel has specs in it. When we looked closer it appeared that the oil had separated from the fuel. It was weird, but I have never used it after that. Maybe a fluke or maybe bad fuel? Who knows but it happened.
Could be. I have been using it for years in a Toro snowblower at 70:1 with zero issues.

I used Opti-2 commercially in what I would consider extreme duty service applications (2-cycle cutoff saws) for about a decade and like it. My saws seemed to last a lot longer than other guys who used the Echo or Stihl stuff. I always ran it about 75:1 instead of the recommended 100:1. If I tried to run it 50:1, the saws would bog and be down on power.

Opti never mentions JASO rating but I found this:
ISO-L-EGD
Same requirements as JASO FD + test for piston cleanliness + detergent effect.

There is nothing about any oil that would allow protection at a higher mix ratio. Despite what is claimed.

We clearly understand how two stroke oil works.

There is nothing about any oil that would allow protection at a higher mix ratio. Despite what is claimed.

We clearly understand how two stroke oil works.
All I know is that if I ran Opti-2 at 50:1, my saws ran terrible. It was as if I was running them on regular 2-cycle oil at 16:1.

All I know is that if I ran Opti-2 at 50:1, my saws ran terrible. It was as if I was running them on regular 2-cycle oil at 16:1.

You have to run the oil at the correct ratio (depends on the carb jetting). If you go richer on oil, it's leaner on gas, so you need to go to larger jets in the carb (or adjustment screws - but they are usually just for the idle circuit).

You have to run the oil at the correct ratio (depends on the carb jetting). If you go richer on oil, it's leaner on gas, so you need to go to larger jets in the carb (or adjustment screws - but they are usually just for the idle circuit).
My saws ran fine on normal 2-cycle oil at 50:1, just not with Opti-2. If I ran it that thick with Opti-2, they ran poorly. At 75:1, I didn't notice a difference in power.

Are you sure the specs you were seeing wasn't water droplets?

I’ve only used Opti-2 once in an early 90’s Lawn-Boy mower. It ended up snapping the connecting rod. Oil’s fault? Highly doubt it. But I now always use either Echo Red Armor or Amsoil Saber mixed at approximately 40-45:1. I use this mix in my 35 and 47 year old Lawn-Boys, Husqvarna trimmer, Echo chainsaw, and Hitachi leaf blower. Every piece of OPE I own is all 2 stroke, and all run perfectly. All I care about is making sure my equipment lasts as long as I possibly can get it to.

L8R,
Matt

Back