Why I have stuck with Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I have a opinion.No I am not carrying water for Amsoil.I have used MB1 in the past,and I learned that if a engine has a leak,MB1 will find it.I don't have ANY experience with any other oils so I didn't comment good or bad. The SS says 25k under regular use(I would not)I will stick with what makes me warm and fuzzy. I know all Syns. are so much better then 10 years ago.SS is the first oil which I seen that gave the extended OC on its label.MB1 may now but they never did before.Who else let's out that secret info? I do run the MB1 high mileage filters.Have a good day.

Last edited:
SOME of amsoils products are surely better, BUT at triple the cost of todays cheaper fake synthetics + IMO not worth the $$$ except in extreme conditions

Welcome aboard Jay! I always used Amsoil Severe Gear in the rear diff of my 300ZX. Best gear oil out there in my experience!

Ahh... the inevitable Fake synthetic comment. I actually am starting to get disappointed when I don't see them.

All I know is, if something is too good to be true, it probably is.
Without evidence, through scientific testing, it is, at best, an educated guess or opinion.
If Amsoil was really that much better, it seems to me everyone would know.
Dealers would put it in every engine to make them last forever.

Of course, I may be outta my mind...

Amsoil has done a better job in recent years with their marketing. While in the past it was a bit questionable, the real issue I had was their army of dealers. I don't like how the product is sold. I have nothing against the oils or company as I do think they are excellent.

Thinking Tig must have a secret pile of bad gaskets he never told us about … some of them 40 years old !
So, what else are you hiding Tig ? 👀😷

I think with oil in general it's very easy to judge things by how they were 10, 20, or even 50-60 years ago. My father refuses to use Castrol, Pennzoil, and Quaker State because they sludged things up in the 1960s and 1970s. He would use Shell, though. Nevermind Pennzoil and Quaker State are now owned by Shell directly in the present day and some oils are exact Shell formulas.

To a point there's brands and products I trust more from my own old age (for example, I trust Panasonic appliances most as in my experience 1990s Panasonic stuff I had as a kid was indestructible) but people have a hard time seeing things as they currently are, and not how they were decades ago.

I agree that 30-years ago, if one wanted to ‘reliably’ run 12k OCI’s; Amsoil and Mobil 1 were basically your only choices. If forced, I would say of those 2, Amsoil would do it a bit better.
Today? Not so much. With changes in oil and engines, LOTS of oils will go 12k w/o issue.

I agree that 30-years ago, if one wanted to ‘reliably’ run 12k OCI’s; Amsoil and Mobil 1 were basically your only choices. If forced, I would say of those 2, Amsoil would do it a bit better.
Today? Not so much. With changes in oil and engines, LOTS of oils will go 12k w/o issue.
But with the advancements Amsoil has made, it'll go 50k!

I think it is a waste when guys run it for 5K OCI's
Any oil is good for that...
To each is own. Good luck:)
I am starting to think with all of the improvements and detailed information we can all find on many of today's modern + synthetic oils that they are all pretty close. Even Wal Mart brand with a few exceptions. The add package may be a game changer for some. (of course I am one of some) Certain oils contain some additives that others do not. So , your "to each his own + good luck" makes great sense to me these days. :)

Last edited:
Amsoil has done a better job in recent years with their marketing. While in the past it was a bit questionable, the real issue I had was their army of dealers. I don't like how the product is sold. I have nothing against the oils or company as I do think they are excellent.
Finally years ago people were able to sign up for a "private account" and purchase it straight from the company and cut out those "dealers."
I remember all the hoopla when it was first becoming know. There was no internet. People, lots of us were leery of the magic snake oils. It took a while for manufacturers to perfect their synthetics to where they are today AND for people to use them and prove to themselves just about any synthetic today is better than the old dyno.... Wait for it.... KABOOM from the non - syn crowd. :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back